Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Just some talk about the Pentastar V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM
stuffedbackseat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just some talk about the Pentastar V6

Chrysler 3.6L VVT Pentastar V6 Engine

The Pentastar engine is one of the most versatile engines on the market today. It powers many of Chrysler's vehicles, and here are the reasons why.

Although the Pentastar V6 produces less power than the last generation V6 under 1,400 rpm, between 1,600 and 6,400 the power comes quickly and consistently. More than 90% of the torque is available in that range.

The Pentastar V6 is a very versatile engine, powering 1/3 of chryslers vehicles. There are rumors floating around that Maserati may be interested in using it to power its cars one day too. The Pentastar can power a range of different cars, from Ram and Wrangler to Challenger and Cherokee, and a few Fiats and Lancias as well. It can produce 260hp in the Wrangler and 305hp in the Challenger.

It was known that Chysler needed to improve their fuel efficiency, and it definitely worked with the pentastar. There is a 15-20% increase in efficiency as compared to the V6 it replaced and yet there is still a 30-40% increase in power.

Although the Pentastar doesn't have cylinder deactivation, direct injection, or a turbocharger, it is set up for all three. This again shows its versatility as an engine and the ingenuity of Chrysler as they move forward.

What do you guys think of the Pentastar engine?

Last edited by lxman1; 06-30-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Removed banned link
Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You want to ask some of the members that are having cylinder head problems and camshaft phaser.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:54 PM
sodas
Amateur

I originally purchased the Pentstart V6 and enjoyed driving but I don't know enough about engines to tell the difference. I mentioned in my newbie thread that I traded for the V8 R/T to enjoy the features of a V8 muscle car but really cannot tell any difference in the engines, again I mainly enjoy the style of muscle cars and what modifications can be done. The Pentstart V6 sounds nice, I admit, but when I talked to everyone about making upgrades to the car I was told that I should have just purchased a V* only to find out now that the modifications that can be done the car are limited because of the abuse some drivers did to the warranty. Personally, I joined the forum to read more about the car and understand. Maybe you can enlighten me on why what I'm expecting is not what I got and possibly how what I have is what I wanted. I apologize for the twisted lingo if you got lost in that last sentence. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Longorian

The Pentastar 3.6 liter V6 engine pumps out 305 horsepower in the Dodge Challenger and the 2013 Ram. Coupled with the eight-speed automatic in the Charger, it equals prior-generation Hemi V8 0-60 times (6.6 seconds).

A 3-liter twin-turbo version was projected to hit 400 horsepower; we believe it is being developed by Maserati at this time. The higher-mileage, torque-biased 3.2 should be in the Jeep Cherokee next year. Direct injection is coming, around calendar-year 2014-15.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Longorian

The Pentastar engines were created by Chrysler engineers to replace the V6 powerplants used by Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram. With the end of the 3.7 engine in summer 2012, it will be Chrysler’s sole V6.

The Pentastar 3.6 liter V6 engine pumps out 305 horsepower in the Dodge Challenger and the 2013 Ram. Coupled with the eight-speed automatic in the Charger, it equals prior-generation Hemi V8 0-60 times (6.6 seconds).

A 3-liter twin-turbo version was projected to hit 400 horsepower; we believe it is being developed by Maserati at this time. The higher-mileage, torque-biased 3.2 should be in the Jeep Cherokee next year. Direct injection is coming, around calendar-year 2014-15.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Deputy Dog

Originally Posted by Longorian

Well, not really. Those old 60s Hemis had scewed E/T times because of lousy traction issues from the tires of that era. They would burn rubber all through first gear even as they feathered the pedal to try a get better traction. Don't be fooled by the times listed because if those cars had todays rubber and traction control they would knock off 1.5 sec or more.

Quick Reply: Just some talk about the Pentastar V6