Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler/Fiat to Merge in 2013

Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM
DodgeForum Editor
DF Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiat no Daimler

our writer seeks to put your minds at ease...

https://dodgeforum.com/articles/2011...dfoct11-1.html

thoughts?

Old 10-28-2011, 04:14 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Hopefully it doesn't go bad. If so, Fiat can GTFO!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

It's FIAT (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino) not Fiat. Also, while the automotive press and current Chrysler execs tout all of the quality improvements made possible by the FIAT buyout, it is patently false. All these new models and improved current models were in the pipeline long before FIAT was GIVEN 45% by Obama. I was cautiously optimistic when the merger first happened, but with genius marketing decisions, like ending the Caravan and changing pickups to Ram brand, I am becoming cautiously pessimistic. FIAT failed in the US previously because they never understood the US market. Now they are going to miraculously and suddenly "get it"? Also, how much of the savings from the synergy created by the merger are we going to see in the way of lower priced vehicles? I'm betting the geniuses next decide Chrysler needs to go "upmarket" and price themselves out of the range of us faithful Chrysler owners. It has been 4 years since I bought my last new Chrysler, a 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible. I want to buy now, but frankly, I am going to wait and see if this "merger" swallows and destroys the Chrysler I grew up loving.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:31 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Hell ya, they know the American Market! A majority of Americans buy foreign. The 60's and 70's weren't good export years for any foreign competitor. The 80's to present is where foreign cars flourished.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:37 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Like I said, Fiat.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

I was correcting the article writer who should know how to spell the name right. You can spell it pheeought for all I care.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Nitecop

Originally Posted by mantisman51
It's ....... I was cautiously optimistic when the merger first happened, but with genius marketing decisions, like ending the Caravan and changing pickups to Ram brand, I am becoming cautiously pessimistic. FIAT failed in the US previously because they never understood the US market. Now they are going to miraculously and suddenly "get it"? Also, how much of the savings from the synergy created by the merger are we going to see in the way of lower priced vehicles? I'm betting the geniuses next decide Chrysler needs to go "upmarket" and price themselves out of the range of us faithful Chrysler owners. .......
X2 on that

Just two weeks ago I traded in my 08 Charger Daytona on a 06 Jeep Wrangler. Why you ask? I buy cars for the looonng run Years and Years. and I got worried that the high tech systems of the car would one day die on me and then I'll have a bigger POS on my hands. So I bought what might be the newest vehicle I may EVER buy again.
The Jeep is has much more of what i like and much less of what i don't like.
Like on the Jeep : Throttle cable, manual transmission, solid axles, inline six engine
No like on charger: Throttle by wire, auto HeatA/C controls, Electronic controlled auto trans.

AS far as the Chrsyler/FIAT deal goes I just hope fiat can be the silent partner chrsyler needs.
THe LAST thing we need is the dodge/chrsyler name on some little fiat designed/built car. THe american people are not stupid they can see when you do that. And MANY people here will question the quality of ALL the other dodge chrsyler vehicle. It has happend in trhe past. If chrsyler isn't careful it will happen again.

Last edited by Nitecop; 11-02-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

After the screwing we got from Dr. Z and Daimler, being leery of any foreign company taking the reigns is quite acceptable.
Eliminating duplicate models such as the GC and T&C, is commonplace now. Ford ditched the Mercury brand which were rebadged Fords (although Lincoln is the same thing), and GM killed Pontiac and Oldsmobile for the same reason. Plymouth suffered the same fate as well.
I don't necessarily agree with killing the Grand Caravan, but a replacement is supposed to be in the pipeline. A bit smaller so hopefully it will be priced right.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:17 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mantisman51
It's FIAT (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino) not Fiat. Also, while the automotive press and current Chrysler execs tout all of the quality improvements made possible by the FIAT buyout, it is patently false. All these new models and improved current models were in the pipeline long before FIAT was GIVEN 45% by Obama. I was cautiously optimistic when the merger first happened, but with genius marketing decisions, like ending the Caravan and changing pickups to Ram brand, I am becoming cautiously pessimistic. FIAT failed in the US previously because they never understood the US market. Now they are going to miraculously and suddenly "get it"? Also, how much of the savings from the synergy created by the merger are we going to see in the way of lower priced vehicles? I'm betting the geniuses next decide Chrysler needs to go "upmarket" and price themselves out of the range of us faithful Chrysler owners. It has been 4 years since I bought my last new Chrysler, a 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible. I want to buy now, but frankly, I am going to wait and see if this "merger" swallows and destroys the Chrysler I grew up loving.
Translation: Cerberus wasn't the disaster everyone said they were. I didn't agree with everything they did, but FIAT is potentially destroying the company. Their marketing ideas are foolish. Ram division, SRT division? Ask GM how well having more divisions works in the modern day. Chrysler needs three (two if you lose Chrysler division the most deserving division to receive the axe).

If I have said it once, I have said it a hundred times, badge engineering does not work. The Mitsubishi did not sell nearly as well as the Chrysler models nor did the Mercedes clones or any other clones. Chrysler needs to be Chrysler. They need to replace the lousy Lancer based Avenger/200 (I'm sorry but that is the dumbest name, 200 what!? There is a history behind 300 but what is 200? The same as the 400 or 600. Nothing! Call it Cirrus, Le Baron, New Yorker, or why not Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, just not some random number. Grrr!) They would be better off to take the previous platform, take notes from competition & other models, and give it a modern suspension and if we are going to have a Chrysler version, give it an interior that would put Lexus to shame and spare no expense on technology on the engine (GDI). For Dodge, style it like the original Avenger with cues from the Viper (not the Charger), offer not only an option V6, but a turbo AWD V6 to reinforce the performance of the brand, and work harder on making the interior equal or better than the standard car competition (and offer a Diesel). For the 300, loose the model with the 5-speed. Consider making a higher end car from the 300's platform the Imperial, just as the Equus is to the Genesis.

Update the Challenger and offer the V10 in a street legal package to compete against the upcoming GT500 and ZL1. Keep it as the Dodge Viper, the Dodge Ram, offer a SRT in the upcoming Dart featuring the 2.4L turbo with updates coming from the Caliber. Keep the Caravan and the Town and Country only make the Town and Country more luxurious (leather wrapped dash) and make the V6 with GDI.

With Jeep, loose the MB tranny and use the 66RFE instead with the Wrangler. Offer the Hemi as an option as well as a small diesel. A guess make a new generation Liberty with modern powertrain this time. Offer 8 speed tranny in GC and V10 for SRT. Loose the Compass and move the Patriot to Dodge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrysler/Fiat to Merge in 2013