Go Back   DodgeForum.com > General > Brand News, Concepts & Rumors
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler Auto Worker Caught Working Drunk... Again

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM
DodgeForum Editor DodgeForum Editor is offline
DF Editor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 165
Default Chrysler Auto Worker Caught Working Drunk... Again

Chrysler can't catch a break with this it seems. This problem with drinking on the job plagued them last year and will continue into 2012 I guess. Read it here: Chrysler Auto Worker Caught Working Drunk... Again

The fact that this problem seems endemic makes me wonder if similar things are happening at the plants of other manufacturers. And if they aren't then what's the difference between them?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 AM
adukart adukart is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1998 Durango SLT 5.9L
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 1,629
Default

Chrysler can't be held responsible for one mans poor decisions.
__________________
'98 durango 4x4 5.9l, 3.92 diff, 46re 4speed, nv242hd transfercase, home brew cai, sct tuned by hemifever, kegger mod, 2" t/s lift, custom homemade bumper, rockin goodyear duratracs. When talking about towing - There no replacement for displacement.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2012, 04:09 PM
ComicDom1 ComicDom1 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 146
Send a message via AIM to ComicDom1
Default

Maybe Chrysler cannot be held responsible for what someone does outside of work, but they certainly can be responsible when that individual is at work.

I know we all value your personal rights and privacy in the United States but when it puts others lives at risk around machinery or a product that is produced for others, where do we draw the line?

Is requiring a worker to be subjected to random drug and alcohol tests when in the work environment stepping over the line? When and where is it that we take the time to consider the value and the safety of co-workers and end users in the process? This country already has banned smoking in public buildings but does not seem to have the same view when it comes to alcohol. Maybe that has to do with the money behind it and the tax revenues associated with it. While I have no problem with someone having a drink or two when they are off work, I do have an issue when they go to work that way or get behind the wheel of a car or any other item or machine that can be dangerous to others.

I am sorry but these people are building vehicles for transportation. In other words, the quality of the work certainly suffers when someone is under the influence, just as driving skills are compromised.

To the poster above, would you have the same view if you were going into a hospital for open heart surgery and later you found out that your surgeon had been drinking all day at work and was drunk when he or she performed your surgery?

I also believe this is not a problem solely related to Chrysler. This is a wide spread problem across the work place. While I certainly do not support communism, I do feel that until there is some system that works where people are held accountable it will continue.

Chrysler is certainly not the military, they are simply an employer who I feel is stuck in the middle of a bad situation that appears to be getting worse as time goes on.

Things like this really make you wonder, if Chrysler is unaware of employees drinking at work, then what else are they missing as they manufacturer cars and trucks they want the public to buy.


Just my two cents,

Jason

Last edited by ComicDom1; 02-21-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 AM
adukart adukart is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1998 Durango SLT 5.9L
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 1,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicDom1 View Post
Maybe Chrysler cannot be held responsible for what someone does outside of work, but they certainly can be responsible when that individual is at work.

I know we all value you personal rights and privacy in the United States but when it puts others lives at risk around machinery or a product that is produced for others, where do we draw the line.

Is requiring a worker to be subjected to random drug and alcohol tests when in the work environment stepping over the line. When and where is it that we take the time to consider the value and the safety of co-workers and end users in the process. This country already has banned smoking in public buildings but does not seem to have the same view when it comes to alcohol. Maybe that has to do with the money behind it and the tax revenues associated with it. While I have no problem with someone having a drink or two when they are off work, I do have an issue when they go to work that way or get behind the wheel of a car or any other item that can be dangerous to others.

I am sorry but these people are building vehicles for transportation. In other words, the quality of the work certainly suffers when someone is under the influence, just as driving skills are compromised.

To the poster above, would you have the same view if you were going into a hospital for open heart surgery and later you found out that your surgeon had been drinking all day at work and was drunk when he or she performed your surgery?

I also believe this is not a problem solely related to Chrysler. It is a wide spread problem across the work place. While I certainly do not support communism, I do feel that until there is some system that works where people are held accountable it will continue.

Chrysler is certainly not the military, they are simply an employer who I feel is stuck in the middle of a bad situation that appears to be getting worse as time goes on.

Things like this really make you wonder, if Chrysler is unaware of employees drinking at work, then what else are they missing as they manufacturer cars and trucks they want the public to buy.


Just my two cents,

Jason
Don't get me wrong, they should've canned him, but in a company that big its hard to moniter every single person. Especially if no one mentions anything to the boss. Now not saying snitching is good like if someone sneezes without covering there mouth but drinking on the job is pretty serious, especially like you said with people live at hand in those vehicles.
__________________
'98 durango 4x4 5.9l, 3.92 diff, 46re 4speed, nv242hd transfercase, home brew cai, sct tuned by hemifever, kegger mod, 2" t/s lift, custom homemade bumper, rockin goodyear duratracs. When talking about towing - There no replacement for displacement.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2012, 08:41 AM
1954Radio's Avatar
1954Radio 1954Radio is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 2009 Ram
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adukart View Post
Chrysler can't be held responsible for one mans poor decisions.
I could be rude and ask if ur smoking crack but I won't. They've caught two groups of people at two different plants smoking pot and drinking their lunch break up prior to this so how can you account for only one mans actions? I say bull**** to your comment...it's total negligence on Chryslers part! The last group of fckups were caught getting loaded right under managements noses...in the parking lot right in front of the plant supervisers office...go figure!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 AM
adukart adukart is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1998 Durango SLT 5.9L
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 1,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954Radio View Post
I could be rude and ask if ur smoking crack but I won't. They've caught two groups of people at two different plants smoking pot and drinking their lunch break up prior to this so how can you account for only one mans actions? I say bull**** to your comment...it's total negligence on Chryslers part! The last group of fckups were caught getting loaded right under managements noses...in the parking lot right in front of the plant supervisers office...go figure!
No I'm not on crack and also I hadn't heard about the pot smoking. Yeah that would be negligence. But one person can be hard, a group shouldn't be.
__________________
'98 durango 4x4 5.9l, 3.92 diff, 46re 4speed, nv242hd transfercase, home brew cai, sct tuned by hemifever, kegger mod, 2" t/s lift, custom homemade bumper, rockin goodyear duratracs. When talking about towing - There no replacement for displacement.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 PM
highrevr/tflea highrevr/tflea is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location:
Posts: 3,011
Default

I believe he should be fired, don't believe people should have tests done everyday just to go to the assembly lines because it costs money, do believe in the constitution and respect for an individual's privacy, and in the event of something of this magnitude becoming a problem, examples made of these workers with fines and jail times are worth more than a breathalyzer and a pee cup.
__________________
td05H turbo 16G =broke until i get more money to finish
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM
grungerockjeeper grungerockjeeper is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 307
Default

Chrysler should absolutely make an example of this guy and PRONTO. This looks horrible for them especially since OBummer used taxpayer money to bail out the big 3....for what, to have their workers sh!tfaced at work around hazardous machinery and half *** screwing together the cars we are looking to drop big money to buy? Im sure its not just Chrylsers employees, Ill lay odds that you can find drunks at ANY automotive plant. But this guy got caught.
__________________
Im Johnny Knoxville. Welcome to Jackass!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
CSX173 CSX173 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 37
reefmaster@ecoreeftechnologies.com tjb1@chrysler.com
Default Impossible to Police

It is obvious that most readers of this forum have never been inside a vehicle assembly plant, or a plant which manufactures anything large and comples and/or in massive quantities. These plants are like cities of their own. They are massive. Square miles under roof. They have their own electrical substations. Some even make their own power. They have sections that you would not want to walk in on your own. Just like any big city, there is corruption, greed, and many other issues like drugs, etc. No major company is immune. This would be impossible to police. Just like our own prision system and school systems. How do kids get inside schools with guns? How do prisioners get drugs inside prision? If you can answer and solve all of those questions/problems, then maybe you could help with the problems in the manufacturing plants. Chrysler just seems to either be unlucky and people are getting caught more, or someone is purposefully pinpointing them. Furthermore, I'm sure most of you have heard the saying, "one bad apple spoils the bunch". 90% or more of the folks that work in these plants are honest , hard working people just trying to provide for their families. Just like me.
__________________
T. Baltrusaitis- Clarkston, Michigan
Chrysler LLC Employee for 26 years
Furious Fuschia Challenger R/T
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Thack Thack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2010 Ram TRX
Location: Indy
Posts: 17
Default

CSX173 hit the nail on the head, guys if you have never worked in one of these plants it is beyond comprehension, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, chop shops, murder, gambling, theft rings, etc.

The morals and laws on the outside have nothing in common with life on the inside.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Jaded's Avatar
Jaded Jaded is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2005 Dakota Laramie
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 620
Default

As a dodge owner, I always keep it real and never work on my truck until I've downed a few beers.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 AM
adukart adukart is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1998 Durango SLT 5.9L
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 1,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX173 View Post
It is obvious that most readers of this forum have never been inside a vehicle assembly plant, or a plant which manufactures anything large and comples and/or in massive quantities. These plants are like cities of their own. They are massive. Square miles under roof. They have their own electrical substations. Some even make their own power. They have sections that you would not want to walk in on your own. Just like any big city, there is corruption, greed, and many other issues like drugs, etc. No major company is immune. This would be impossible to police. Just like our own prision system and school systems. How do kids get inside schools with guns? How do prisioners get drugs inside prision? If you can answer and solve all of those questions/problems, then maybe you could help with the problems in the manufacturing plants. Chrysler just seems to either be unlucky and people are getting caught more, or someone is purposefully pinpointing them. Furthermore, I'm sure most of you have heard the saying, "one bad apple spoils the bunch". 90% or more of the folks that work in these plants are honest , hard working people just trying to provide for their families. Just like me.
Thank you, I couldn't have said it better.
__________________
'98 durango 4x4 5.9l, 3.92 diff, 46re 4speed, nv242hd transfercase, home brew cai, sct tuned by hemifever, kegger mod, 2" t/s lift, custom homemade bumper, rockin goodyear duratracs. When talking about towing - There no replacement for displacement.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 AM
1954Radio's Avatar
1954Radio 1954Radio is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 2009 Ram
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thack View Post
CSX173 hit the nail on the head, guys if you have never worked in one of these plants it is beyond comprehension, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, chop shops, murder, gambling, theft rings, etc.

The morals and laws on the outside have nothing in common with life on the inside.
That's a crock of ****...no pun intended but you sound like some of the politicians running our country. We have 16 petroleum refineries including one of the four largest in the western "hemi" sphere and over a 100 major chemical plants just as big or bigger. And we are selfsustained as well but I garuantee you won't hear those kind of stories here. Drugs and alcohol are not tolerated and are dealt with 0 tolerance compliance. They take safety very seriously both in and outside the plants and there is mandatory random drug and alcohol testing 24/7. Not knocking or flaming the hard honest working people, but there seems to be a morale prob at Chrys and something needs to be done about it and fast.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 PM
WillyB1500ST WillyB1500ST is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Easy fix... Random drug and alcohol screening. But I bet the unions won't allow that in order to "protect" their workers from the unfair practices of expecting them to show up to work sober....

I remember as a kid the workers from American Airlines and McDonald Douglas would come to my dad's service station and load up on beer during lunch then go back and build military and civilian aircraft and parts. This kind of thing may be wider spread than just Chrystler. I guess we can see why their reliability is so poor.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 PM
WillyB1500ST WillyB1500ST is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Default

"Impossible to police?"
Hardly. Just because it's a large company with lots of sprawl doesn't mean they should not remain vigilant. If the Armed Forces can do it, I see no reason why any company can't do the same.

"90% or more are honest and hardworking folks."
All the more reason to be more pro-active in stamping this kind of thing out. I am sure an auto factory has a multitude of opportunities for someone under the influence to hurt or kill themselves or other co-workers. I would hope that the "good" 90% would indeed turn the bad 10% in.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Thack Thack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2010 Ram TRX
Location: Indy
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954Radio View Post
That's a crock of ****...no pun intended but you sound like some of the politicians running our country. We have 16 petroleum refineries including one of the four largest in the western "hemi" sphere and over a 100 major chemical plants just as big or bigger. And we are selfsustained as well but I garuantee you won't hear those kind of stories here. Drugs and alcohol are not tolerated and are dealt with 0 tolerance compliance. They take safety very seriously both in and outside the plants and there is mandatory random drug and alcohol testing 24/7. Not knocking or flaming the hard honest working people, but there seems to be a morale prob at Chrys and something needs to be done about it and fast.
Which Big 3 plant do you work at to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about? I never said one word about petroleum refineries or chemical plants. I don't pretend to have knowledge of those industries, I will say that any exposure to them I have had left me impressed.

Now, you know it all so this will not be informative to you, but the others may find this helpful to them understanding why these factories are the way they are.

One reason these plants have so many...jems working in them was the Felon Reformation act, this was hidden in the act that required companies making money off dod contracts to hire Vietnam Vets. They could hire vets or cons. My plant hired several hundred ex cons and the place turned into a zoo.

The bright side is that the younger workers hired in the last ten years seem more squared away. They don't work as hard as the baby boomers but they don't have all the baggage.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
1954Radio's Avatar
1954Radio 1954Radio is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 2009 Ram
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thack View Post
Which Big 3 plant do you work at to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about? I never said one word about petroleum refineries or chemical plants. I don't pretend to have knowledge of those industries, I will say that any exposure to them I have had left me impressed.
No you didn't say anything about petro plants, but like a politician you used the size of them as an excuse for not being able to police or control them which what I say is a crock of ****. And I don't know what you mean by big 3 but this is an idustries town with several large plants. And like yours and many other companies they all have their prison program employes and none of them have the crime problems that you speak of. Prostitution, murder, chopshops and areas of the plant that are so dangerous you can't or shouldn't access...geezem! If there's that much crime and corruption there then it's your companies own fault. They did that to themselves by putting there fingers in the cookie jar along with the crooks. Again, no pun intended to you and the honest and hard working others but there is no excuse for this. This type of stuff goes on everywhere but it is dealt with from inside by the company in question. It is evident that there are some comcerned employees who are tired of this behavior and have no choice othet than to leak it to the media because their company won't do anything about it. Duh....that's why this **** goes on and on because the brass is doing nothing!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Thack Thack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2010 Ram TRX
Location: Indy
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954Radio View Post
No you didn't say anything about petro plants, but like a politician you used the size of them as an excuse for not being able to police or control them which what I say is a crock of ****. And I don't know what you mean by big 3 but this is an idustries town with several large plants. And like yours and many other companies they all have their prison program employes and none of them have the crime problems that you speak of. Prostitution, murder, chopshops and areas of the plant that are so dangerous you can't or shouldn't access...geezem! If there's that much crime and corruption there then it's your companies own fault. They did that to themselves by putting there fingers in the cookie jar along with the crooks. Again, no pun intended to you and the honest and hard working others but there is no excuse for this. This type of stuff goes on everywhere but it is dealt with from inside by the company in question. It is evident that there are some comcerned employees who are tired of this behavior and have no choice othet than to leak it to the media because their company won't do anything about it. Duh....that's why this **** goes on and on because the brass is doing nothing!
Good post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Thack Thack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2010 Ram TRX
Location: Indy
Posts: 17
Default

Offf, forgot to add a few comments.

It's not the size that makes it so hard to control but the grievance processand arbitrators. Chrysler has fired a bunch of those guys who were caught, they did the right thing. But....will they still be fired in a year from now?

Here is what I think will happen. The guy(s) file a grievance and in a year it goes to the arbitrators, and in exchange for 20k grievances he/they come back with back pay, less one day DLO.

I would be very surprised if some of those guys were not back already. Bud, I am not defending this or saying it's right, it's not.

From your post's I can tell you are a clear thinker...they will have none of that...lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Johnnyson Johnnyson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Default

I think there is no replacement
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 AM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails