Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)
View Poll Results: Should there be a non-high performance Ram 1500 with a manual transmission?
Hell Yes!
87.50%
Not enough people bought it before...why bother?
12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Should the Ram 1500 come with a manual transmission option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:51 PM
SuperJorge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm new here. I can't vote yet but my vote goes for yes. We need manual transmission full size trucks. And not just the base model like st or slt. No. We also want it in the high end trim model. The laramie long horn. I personally don't like and don't care for automatic trucks. Yes I had one. As a matter of fact. I just traded in my 2012 dodge ram 1500 with less than 1200 miles. Yes it was a nice comfortable truck that had plenty of power. But that's it. It was boring and frustrating. Yes, an automatic is comfortable but that's it. Every automatic vehicle that I have driven feels the same. Aside from engine power, weight and handling of the vehicle. All automatic cars are the same. Right foot for going and stopping. Hands on steering wheel to control the vehicle and that's it. Automatic does not add that extra dimension experience from a vehicle like a manual transmission does. Manual transmission vehicles have personality an attitude. They all drive different. The problem here is that most people don't know how to drive manual transmission anymore. But there is still thousands of people that still want manual transmission full size half ton trucks offered in the high end trim. I'm not asking for and srt8 racing ram 1500 or an srt10. No. I simply want a 2009+ ram 1500 laramie longhorn with the 5.7 hemi with 6 speed MANUAL TRANSMISSION. That's with 3 pedals. Accelerator, brake and CLUTCH. Is this too much to ask?
People say that automatics are now more economical, stronger and dependable. Well its obvious that I could be. Simple fact. Car companies decided to drop the manual transmission and focus on research and development and new technologies for the automatic transmission. If they would have also continued the same research and development on the manual transmission, then the same manual would be even more powerful than the current automatic transmission. Car companies don't want this though because manual transmissions are less expensive and more reliable. This means less money for the car companies to make. In a manual its usually the clutch that goes. This is less than a1000 dollar repair. When an automatic transmission has problems. This usually requires a complete rebuild or a new transmission which can cost thousands of dollars. Again, more money for the auto makers.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like everyone just gets hyped up these days when they hear "manual transmission". Like they're trying to hold on to the past. Manual trannys are soon to be the way of the doodoo bird in my mind. While I understand there use in a truck application I also understand why they are going away. MTs are "crude" to say it in a few words. Are they fun? Hell yea! But most people who are buying trucks nowadays have families and families+MTs dont mix well in a truck application I feel. The autos of today are smoother then a manual and they do provide better fuel economy (if you look at any car on the lot today that has an auto and manual option, the manual option will always have a slightly lower mpg number). And in todays world mpg numbers talk. Plus maunals are limited in the number of gears they provide which is what reduces their economy numbers. Could you imagine shifting an 8 speed by hand? Manuals used to be the tough trannys while autos were soft and prone to problems but not anymore. While unfortunate as it may be to hear, the auto is the tranny of the future... At least in America, I'm sure the rest of the world will keep the manual for alot longer since its cheaper to make.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:44 AM
henry_harker
Default 1500 manual? Why not? :)

For sure i love driving stick auto is just not as fun. I wish my dakota was stick!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:30 AM
SuperJorge

Automatic could be more reliable now because of the further research and development that it had. Companies stopped further development of the manual transmission years ago. If they would have kept the manual, then these transmissions would be even better. Kinda how it went back in the day from twin shifters, to double clutching to get it in proper gear to synchronizers. But look how long it took to the automatic transmission to catch up to the manual? And again, this is only because the manual transmission was sent to the back burner or simply was abandoned. And yes, there is and will be a huge hype and excitement when and if a car company releases a manual transmission option on a modern full size half ton pickup truck. The experience of driving a manual transmission truck is just so great and exciting when compared to a dull automatic. Car companies want to sell cars and trucks. And they don't care who they sell, as long as they sell. So if they need the refine the automatic transmission and add plush and teddy bears little decorations to their trucks to cater to the 16 year old high school girl, then they will as long as they can get her and her friends to buy that work truck that's painted in pink. Its about catering to the masses and the masses don't know how to drive manual transmission. It sucks but this is true. So yes, there is a huge hype and those that love driving manuals do get excited when there is rumor of a company bringing back the manual transmission to their 1/2 ton trucks. Why? Because its a miracle !!!!!. We are finally told that on next weeks food menu the cafeteria might offer pizza as opposed to offering the same dely sandwiches that they been serving us for the past decade.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 AM
SuperJorge

Oh. And I would love to drive an 8 speed manual transmission ram 1500. As a matter of fact, that would be my dream truck! But I guess I have to settle for a six speed if it ever comes out. Now, taking it to an extreme level, I would actually love and would gladly pay extra if dodge offers and 8 speed manual on their 1500 or even a 12 speed with split shift. Lol. Hell why not?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran

I believe, like it was stated earlier, that EVERY truck should have a manual transmission option. Even if it isn't produced in vast quantities like autos, they still should still give the option. I love my truck even though it has a 5 speed auto. I would love it even more with a 6 speed manual. The only reason I wouldn't like the Getrag 6 speed that was an option in my 05 Dakota with the 4.7 is that 6th gear isn't deep enough. I do a lot of highway driving so that's the only pitfall. Personally, I think they should have a 6 speed with 1:1 in 4th, and 2 overdrives, but that's just me. And I would even have to agree with SuperJorge, and 8 speed manual would be great because there's just that much more control.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:34 PM
SuperJorge

Absolutely! Car companies should always offer a manual version of their puck up trucks. Just how they did back in the day. Its ridiculous that they don't. A couple of years ago I sent an email to chrysler about when will they offer a manual transmission on their 1/2 ton trucks or at least to give the option of a custom build one with a manual transmission. They told me that they strive to give their customers what they want. I told them that that was bs because they are obviously not giving me what I want or what the other 1000s of people want. I told them that there are still plenty of people that want manual transmissions in their trucks. I never got a response back after that. Lol. Yes an 8 speed would be awesome! I don't really like to drive too much but when I drive a manual transmission car, I just can't get enough of it. I love shifting through the gears and feeling the engines response per gear. Just can't get enough gears. Lol.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:14 AM
sdgfine

The Ram NEEDS to offer these options, Cab & 1/2 w/ suicide rear doors, NOT just either short cab or 4-dr, A 6 speed manual, LOSE that JUNK JUNK JUNKY SOHC 4.7 POS, & BRING BACK the 5.9 magnum as a base engine, and offer an aluminum head/iron block V-10, & a stroked 408 version of the Magnum 5.9 with the R/T heads, & stage ll cam as performance options. Along with a cowl hood, & other "R/T" cosmetic performance/paint upgrades.......NOW you're selling PICKUPS.... &&& is it TOO MUCH to ask you guys to figure out how to get the PAINT TO STAY PUT????

Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

1500 with a Hemi has always been auto trans only since 2003.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdgfine
The Ram NEEDS to offer these options, Cab & 1/2 w/ suicide rear doors, NOT just either short cab or 4-dr, A 6 speed manual, LOSE that JUNK JUNK JUNKY SOHC 4.7 POS, & BRING BACK the 5.9 magnum as a base engine, and offer an aluminum head/iron block V-10, & a stroked 408 version of the Magnum 5.9 with the R/T heads, & stage ll cam as performance options. Along with a cowl hood, & other "R/T" cosmetic performance/paint upgrades.......NOW you're selling PICKUPS.... &&& is it TOO MUCH to ask you guys to figure out how to get the PAINT TO STAY PUT????
Sounds to me like you should just buy a 2nd gen or three.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Should the Ram 1500 come with a manual transmission option?