Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

bad decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Kaegi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad decision

In reading about Nissan working with Cummins to develop a 1/2 ton pick up diesel I was in shock. Then I hear that Chrysler is going to build a 1/2 ton using a VM diesel. I believe thiis is a huge mistake that will cost the RAM trucks division enormously and could evnetually cause a serious decline or failure of the brand.
Why?
1. Americans dont repsect Italian engineering as a reliable dependable option. this attitude goes back to WW1 and probably further with decades of terrible, poorly executed ideas. Their tanks at one point were nicknamed "The Coffin". Fiat cars have multiple unflattering nicknames that are very deserved. This is reflected in the total lack of Fiat car sales now available again in the US. the goals have not even come close to what they expected to sell. Fiat and Alfa are still considered mediocre at best in Europe.
2. Cummins is synonymous with Dodge/RAm trucks. Putting a smaller Cummins engine into the 1/2 ton is the obvious logical asnwer to entering the 1//2 ton diesel market.
3. I would never buy a Votto Motori powered Ram truck. what if I have a breakdown and need parts quickly? if I am in middle america and all that is around is trucks stops and parts houses I know I can get Cummins parts anywhere. I dont want to have to special order an injection pump from a dealer or from Italy for that matter.
4. I believe RAm will lose many customers to Ford and Nissan and GM as they enter the 1/2 ton diesel market. I love the new RAm trucks but will never buy one with an Italian diesel. no offense to italians but they just dont have the decades long realtionship with Cummins nor the reputation for power and reliability.
So I ask Chrysler go negotiate with Nissan and take over the development program with Cummins and make the right decision.

Dodge Dakota
Please dont make it a unibody! Trucks onwers want frames!! way more versatile and superior for towing. towing wtih unibody vehicels is like driving an audio speaker with trailer sounds piercing yoru brain. ever tow with one? frames are the only smart choice.

Last edited by Kaegi; 08-26-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:40 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

There is 2 diesels that I will ever buy. 1. Anything with the word cummins. 2. Power stroke 7.3 (ugly trucks IMO but awesome motor!)

Old 08-31-2013, 11:54 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

No disrespect, but I think you're wrong. And to think that these half ton diesels and what engine is under there hood (or isn't) will lead to the demise of the brand is laughable.

Yeah, I'd prefer the 5.0 Cummins in the Ram 1500 too, but I intend to give the VM a very good look when they come out. Still think it will be a hell of a rig.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Kaegi

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
No disrespect, but I think you're wrong. And to think that these half ton diesels and what engine is under there hood (or isn't) will lead to the demise of the brand is laughable.

Yeah, I'd prefer the 5.0 Cummins in the Ram 1500 too, but I intend to give the VM a very good look when they come out. Still think it will be a hell of a rig.
there will always be some people who will buy one with the VM engine and have no pre conceived ideas about how poor the quliaty of fiat vehicles has been in the past. But I believe if they pursued a Cummins engine for the 1/2 ton that they would have so much demand they couldnt keep up. with the VM sales I predict will be marginal at best. Dodge over the years has come very very near to shutting down pickup production all together. Even with the 1st gen Cummins they only had around 6% of market share in 93. the share went way up with the new body styles of 94 and up. now I think they have about 25%?

Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

If people only buy based on preconceived notions, whether accurate or not, we wouldn't have any diesels now based off of the crap GM used in their cars. No one would buy Chrysler products anymore; as popular as they are now, the 70-74 Challengers and Cudas weren't the highest quality back in the day. Ford may have went out of business all together after the Edsel fiasco. GM has certainly had its ups and downs.

So if no one bought anything based off of prior stuff, there would be zero vehicles made today. Couldn't buy a motorcycle (Harley and the junk they made would have gone away a LONG time ago), probably wouldn't have any TV's or computers or phones.

Will I avoid this based off of the prior issues of Fiat? No. Yes, there is a reason they stopped selling over here, I'm aware of that. I'd put money it won't be junk.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:00 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The GM Duramax is an Isuzu engine. I don't believe that Isuzu vehicles are imported over here any more either. Fiat has come a long way in the past decade.

Quick Reply: bad decision