Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

I miss the Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Thats just it though, there WERE advancements, only it was to make them bigger, stronger, less fuel efficient, etc. Advanced themselves right out of the market. They need too get back to small trucks like the original S-10's, Rangers, etc. Let the buyer choose. If someone wants a pickup grocery getter that seats 6 people and has power everything, get a full size. I like that the ranger stuck with an extended cab only and never went the route of the bloated S-10 4 door. Thing is nowadays, folks buy a truck as their daily driver so they want all the bells and whistles and comfort. I remember my dad's first truck, it was a Chevy Luv (Mazda), had a bench seat you could barely squeeze 3 people into, manual trans, no carpet, no AC. It was a truck for when he needed a truck, not his everyday transportation. The original Dakota was unique in that it truly was "mid-size" compared to the offerings then and there was a strong market for such a truck, but they just went overboard with it.
Sometimes I think I'm the only person that finds the size of the 3g/4g dakotas to be just right. The prior models were a little too small for my liking and borrowing my dad's 02 Ram feels like driving a tank by comparison.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:44 AM
martinbrockington
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is not that the market of mid size truck is down as the same segment of the truck is getting a fair amount of response from consumers

Old 01-25-2014, 02:49 PM
bigpete1125
Amateur

Well I hate the fact that I am looking into trading in my 08 Ram for a 4 door Nissan Forntier with a 6cyl 6spd 2wd. I'd rather buy a Dakota in that type of truck, even with the shorter bed cause I'd mostly use it for to an from work and to the hockey rink. On the rare occasion I may need to put my motorcycle in there but I'd just leave the tailgate down. I don't necessarily need a full size pickup, but do to state laws I'll need the 4 door once my wife and I have kids. The state I live in require children to ride in the back seat so not to wise to hold onto my standard cab Ram.

#BRINGITBACK

Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

New Jersey's child passenger safety law requires:

Children under 8 years of age who weigh less than 80 pounds to ride properly secured in a child safety seat or booster seat in the rear seat of the vehicle. If there is no rear seat, the child may sit in the front seat, but s/he must be secured by a child safety seat or booster seat.

Thats straight from state of NJ website. So you can pass on buying the riceburner.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:11 AM
CorinePerez

The main reason behind the failure of the Dakota was the disastrous economy it gave. I think it was really terrible. Never =got my hands on it but i heard my uncle complaint a lot about it.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by CorinePerez
The main reason behind the failure of the Dakota was the disastrous economy it gave. I think it was really terrible. Never =got my hands on it but i heard my uncle complaint a lot about it.
Wrong.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:41 PM
bigpete1125
Amateur

Thanks for the update on the law hear in jersey I had read that but the wife was being a little nutty. I'm going to hold onto my Ram as long as it'll run. Unless the Dak comes back because like I've said prior I love that truck and if I had to choose I'd keep that 4 banger even though it needs mad work over my Ram

Old 02-15-2014, 02:26 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If the last gen Dakota had the 5.7L Hemi with mds, it wou;d have gotten better mileage and would have been a blast to drive. It pulls my 08 Ram around pretty good, the lighter truck with less frontal area should have been a pretty good all around performer and probably would have sold better.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 PM
link040188

never fear chrysler llc. has plans to bring the small/mid size truck back. however current projections put it in 2016 so it will be a while. the market shrunk just like the muscle car market shrunk then grew again. the small/mid size truck will come back but like the modern muscle car it wont be exactly what you remember.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:17 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved the Dakota. My uncle and grandfather both had one. Perfect truck for a daily driver and household errands that an SUV can't handle. Trucks now are way too big for most buyers IMO. They're gas hogs and most people will only use about 20% of what they're actually capable of. I thought the Dakota was a perfect combination.

Also made one hell of a hunting truck for duck hunters like myself. Small enough to maneuver long two-track roads and big enough to haul a jon boat, gear, extra hunter, and the dog and capable enough to handle it and keep from getting stuck (high ground clearance and true 4x4 capability with a good size engine). Also wasn't crazy expensive so you didn't feel too bad about putting it through some tough stuff on the way to that secret spot.

Quick Reply: I miss the Dakota