Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Question of the Week Should Dodge Build a Hellcat Viper or Stick with the V10?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question of the Week Should Dodge Build a Hellcat Viper or Stick with the V10?

The Dodge Viper will need more power in the next few years to beat out the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and we want to know whether you think that the Viper should stick with the V10 and continue to gradually beef it up - or should they look to use the new Hellcat Hemi to power the future Viper?

Click here for a look at the advantages of the Hellcat Hemi on the DF Front Page and tell us what you think about the future Viper engine program below!

Old 06-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe it's time to step it up to a V12. The Viper wouldn't be the same without an exclusive engine.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all due respect, what real advantage save for potentially cost would using the hellcat offer over the V10? From what I understand the hellcat is established for having less torque than the current V10 and less than what I understand that the Z06 will have. Also, the V10 is aluminum vs. the Hemi is still an iron block with the additional weight of a supercharger added to the mix will not help the Viper in weight which is also a factor to consider. In my view, this would be Dodge giving up their trump card and letting the Corvette have potentially as a permanent advantage. In my understanding and observations, the Hemi is still a more efficient engine in having more hp and tq than the GM small block series despite being technologically less advanced in most applications, but in this situation, it is obvious that GM has been putting in everything they've got in it (GDI, AFM, etc.) while Fiat Chrysler clearly has not. Until Fiat Chrysler is ready to stop following and leading with the pushrod V8 technology, GM will be one step ahead of them. In my opinion, they need to just offer GDI to the V10 and look into offering a supercharged version to target something in the category of Bugatti. If the Viper is going to be limited as a Corvette fighter, it is going to lose. They need to make the Viper a supercar killer again plain and simple.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:12 AM
MoparPartWorld
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Viper V10 is one of the most uncompromised engines out there, I would personally be very sad to see it go. As the saying goes, there is no replacement for displacement.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:51 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, it should stay a V10. That is what makes it special. The only issue is that Sergio does not want the Viper to outperform their flagship Ferrari, which is why the current car is held back to 640hp.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Rammajama
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is such an easy option.....they need to build a Hellcat V10. Nuff said.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week Should Dodge Build a Hellcat Viper or Stick with the V10?