Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)
View Poll Results: Should the Dodge Viper get the 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission?
Yes, it should be the ony transmission.
0%
Yes, but only if the manual is offered as well.
80.00%
No, sports cars should only have manual transmission.
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Should the Viper get the Hellcat's automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:17 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question of the Week: Should the Viper get the Hellcat's automatic transmission?

The Dodge Viper isnt selling well and while there are lots of ideas of how to improve Viper sales, I think that adding the new 8-speed automatic transmission to the Viper option list will make a huge difference...while having little impact on performance.

That brings us to our Question of the Week. Do you think that the Viper should get the new TorqueFlite 8-speed automatic? Vote in the poll above and tell us why you feel this way below!

Attached Thumbnails Question of the Week: Should the Viper get the Hellcat's automatic transmission?-2014-viper-green-600.jpg  

Last edited by BadStratRT; 08-21-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:28 PM
jwr9152
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the problem is price versus performance. You can get the same performance for a lot less money. The new Corvette (Which I don't like the looks of) is about half the price. Porsche 911 checks in at a lower base price. It either has to perform better or cost less. It would be even better if it performed better and cost less. I do think you have a valid point of offering an automatic as an option, but I also can understand Dodge wanting to keep the mystique of the Viper. I think if they were able to price it closer to the Corvette they would sell a lot more of them. It's a much better looking car.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:49 PM
DuckandDodge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it before, and I'm saying it now... People look at the $50k price difference and immediately go to corvette.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:39 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the price does make a big difference between the two, having a manual only has to be killing sales when we live in an age where you can hardly find a truck with a manual. The 8-speed as an OPTION can't hurt sales by anymeans. I believe if they add this, offer a higher end model (supercharged V10), switch back to the traditional gear ratios, and continue to update the V10 and update the platform that it will help sales. That said they have GOT to get a new platform in the future if they want any relevance. Share it with Ferrari or some other division if necessary, just keep it Chrysler V10 powered and simpler.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Should the Viper get the Hellcat's automatic transmission?