Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)
View Poll Results: Would you build the Hellcat Challenger or leave it stock?
Leave it stock. Protect the future value - 707hp is enough
62.50%
Build it. I need a thousand horsepower.
37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Build the Hellcat Challenger or Leave It Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:35 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question of the Week: Build the Hellcat Challenger or Leave It Stock?

The newest Question of the Week wants to know what you would do if you were fortunate enough to be one of the first owners of the supercharged Hellcat Challenger.

Would you be happy with 707 horsepower, factory 10 second capabilities and a 199mpg top speed or would you want to build up the engine and find out how much fun a 1,000hp street driven Challenger would be?

Make your pick in the poll above and tell us why you feel this way below!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More power is always nice to have but the current stock stats are near the maximum limitation of the components able to withstand all that power. Especially the transmission. I guess to get to 900-1000hp, torque may go well beyond the transmission's endurance and can cause premature failure. Unless you spend quite a bit of money to upgrade all the powertrain components to handle the extra power.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:04 PM
JustBrian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive it Stock...

Don't get me wrong - if someone takes one of those cars and adds another 300 hp I definitely wanna ride. But if it were me, I'd be happy gently smoking everyone I came across just as Dodge built it.

I'd get the Charger, though. The Challenger just isn't practical.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 AM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
More power is always nice to have but the current stock stats are near the maximum limitation of the components able to withstand all that power. Especially the transmission. I guess to get to 900-1000hp, torque may go well beyond the transmission's endurance and can cause premature failure. Unless you spend quite a bit of money to upgrade all the powertrain components to handle the extra power.
The transmission might need to be built up. I don't remember the article but if I remember correctly Japolnik got a secret in house view of the engine. They said the engine was tested to 825hp I think. And the engine currently is built with a lot of room to boost power output. I think the "current hindrance" for output was managing to meet emissions with the current platforms.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Build the Hellcat Challenger or Leave It Stock?