Caliber SRT-4 This compact crossover combines high performance with the interior room of a small SUV.

Need help with my hid's?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
frenches
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my hid's?

Hey so i have a set of HIDs lowbeam H1's from hidextra and i have the relay harness and the capacitors hooked up and it still flickers a bit but worse it turns off every few mins and on again, so i got 50w 6ohm resisters do you think i should install those and where would you suggest or if not what do you think is the matter, i was told from the company that they built resisters in them cause they made them for our car and the canbus system so i dont know

now the only thing i havent figured out cause ive heard a few different ways are how to hook up the resisters should i put the resistor between the relay coil and the chassis ground only on the ground or

put it onto the relay socket that goes into the factory head light socket or put it on the factory head light socket and it would go to power and ground??????????????????

Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know anything about them, but I have contacted someone who may be able to help ya. Hopefully he will chime in soon.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I would recontact the manufacturer of the lights. They may have run into your issue before. I don't know why they would do that unless you are not getting enough voltage to the transformers. I don't know where the resistor would go. I wouldn't think they would have sent them it it didn't need them. Do you ever get a lamp out alarm in the dash?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Unfortunately, Frenches and I have been back and forth one this. Im not sure how the caliber PCM/ECM/ECU works as compared to out DR trucks with CanBus and such.

A majority of cars will run HIDs without the need for load resistors or relayed harnesses.

Also unfortunately, I go through so many threads on so many different sites I cant remember Frenches whole setup. LOL

But if Im not mistaken frenches, you have a standard bi-xenon setup correct? With a relayed harness right? I remember us talking about the load resistors.

If you take out the relayed harness with the load resistors and connect JUST the HID ballasts to the OEM headlight wiring to trigger them on, do they still flicker that way? Do they flicker with the engine running or off) Find the (+) for the low beam and temporarily wire it to the (+) on the ballast and ground the other pin of the ballast.

If not them connect them that way permanently and move on. (this means you will likely only have low beams though)

If they do flicker with the ballast connected directly to the OEM headlight wiring (again, is it with the engine running or not) then take which ever one is flickering (or both) and temp wire them directly to the battery to test the ballast itself to verify that is not the issue and misleading you to think it is something else.

Try these out and LMK what goes on.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Can I get some detailed answers on each of these questions please so I know where you are at and what does or does not work? THX

Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 PM
frenches

So last nite when I turned the hid fogs and low beams the a/c came on and then the lights I'n the dash dimmed and the rear wiper went on lol Amd weed I'l answer when I get to a computer but I've tryed it all I'm
Just gonna get normal bulbs

Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You sure your alternator is charging properly? Low voltage can do crazy things to the PCM.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:12 PM
frenches

one other thing my problem mite be is got aftermarket headlamp projectors so it use to be one bulb did DRL, lo beam and hi beam, now there one bulb for low beam and one bulb for DRL and hi beam, maybe the wiring there needs to be fixed or maybe it doesnt work at all with aftemarket set ups??

Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If you have DRL's activated, it may be messing with the PCM. I don't know where you are located, but maybe you can have your dealer turn them off.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 PM
frenches

well im going to a shop on monday and they say they have done the hids on my car before and i told him i had the afermarket lights heres something one member told me

That's your problem. DRL uses the highbeam at half power. You can't do all that you're doing with just one relay. You need one for the lowbeam, one for the highbeam, and the DRL would have to go to a separate light that you would have to add to the headlight assembly.

what do you think?

Search this Thread