Caliber SRT-4 This compact crossover combines high performance with the interior room of a small SUV.

Caliber SRT-4: Confirmed 300 HP w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 05:37 PM
DCXgageman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Caliber SRT-4: Confirmed 300 HP w/ pics

NO AWD, guys. There was lots of debate internally about this. The major argument was all out performance vs. the fastest car under $2?,000. It comes down to brand identity, best I can see. Some wanted the fastest, least expensive car for the magazine exposure. It will win all performance catagories in it's class. If the car was awd the rags would absolutely put it up against the EVO and WRX, and would, most likely, be called an imitator. See what most rags say about Lexus IS series. "They are good but still not a BMW". Also, old timers might remember that the Eagle Talon awd(mostly sold at Chrysler dealers), was outsold by the Mitsu. Eclipse 2 to 1 and they did not want this to happen again. They want stand-alone-in-its-class type vehicles.

That said, yes I think they decision makers went the wrong way but with enough interest awd may be an option or "special edition" in the future.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:12 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Well, that's one less vehicle on my short list for Colorado.......[:'(]

Dusty

Old 02-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DCXgageman

NO AWD, guys. There was lots of debate internally about this. The major argument was all out performance vs. the fastest car under $2?,000. It comes down to brand identity, best I can see. Some wanted the fastest, least expensive car for the magazine exposure. It will win all performance catagories in it's class. If the car was awd the rags would absolutely put it up against the EVO and WRX, and would, most likely, be called an imitator. See what most rags say about Lexus IS series. "They are good but still not a BMW". Also, old timers might remember that the Eagle Talon awd(mostly sold at Chrysler dealers), was outsold by the Mitsu. Eclipse 2 to 1 and they did not want this to happen again. They want stand-alone-in-its-class type vehicles.

That said, yes I think they decision makers went the wrong way but with enough interest awd may be an option or "special edition" in the future.
Still doesn't mean AWD couldn't come later... Maybe SRT-4 ACR AWD???

Some more colors...

[IMG]local://upfiles/9989/93218413F0DF4EA7A93B25B13A41FE2E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9989/E2F92A1E1A204DD6AD6E3B2B5F590567.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9989/25AFC1DAA19E4168B9F5764A8EB16FC9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

Kasey Kahne, Driver of the #9 NASCAR Dodge

[IMG]local://upfiles/9989/0A2F39264ECD4628A3350730909E0D87.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-10-2006, 06:42 PM
CTGrey02

ORIGINAL: shiltz

ORIGINAL: CTGrey02

The R/T is AWD and just as slow as the SXT because of it. We'll see what happens, but I dont see it happening while keeping costs down in the under 25k range.

Well with the Caliber SXT and R/T it's because even with the R/T the car just doesn't have enough hp to warent an AWD system for performance, it will still help in snow and stuff but it wouldn't be traction limited with just fwd, at 300hp SRT would be traction limited, enought that only FWD would probably impact it's performance a lot, just as an example look at thr SRT-8's, a Carger SRT-8 does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, the Grand Cherokee does it in only 4.5 seconds while having 5hp less and almost 600 pounds heavier, that's basicaly because the Charger is very traction limited.
Who cares if 0-60 suffers .5 seconds on the thing. The only matters on the track, and even there 0-60 isnt measured. It's still impressive power for it's size and it'll make up for it with top end. AWD isnt the end all be all of performance. Every race I've ever had against evo's, STi's and regular WRX's I"ve had no problems taking them off the line, and even less problems chasing them down. I regularly see those neon's in videos killing other cars on the top though. AWD doesnt mean a thing there except extra weight to haul around. I'll take the savings in cash and deal with riding the clutch out.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:17 PM
shiltz
Captain

Well you are also driving a RWD car not a FWD car, that's a big difference there, while RWD still isn't as good as AWD for traction it is a lot better than FWD under heavy acceleration since once you start moving the G-forces cause the weight of the vehicle to shift to the rear so with a RWD once you start moving your tires hook up quickly as their is a lot more effective weight pushing them down, on a FWD car you loose traction as all your weight is shifting away from the driving wheels and it takes significantly longer for them to properly hook up so you take a much bigger hit going from AWD to FWD than you do going from AWD to RWD.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:12 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

At least the Caliber SRT-4 will have a limited slip differential, that way we will get a little better control over the power it will have and deliver that power straight to the pavement...i mean look at all the Neon SRT-4's with 350whp-400whp that are front wheel drive and do just fine without AWD.

Oh and if they have the ESP on the SRT-4 like it is on the Magnum/Charger R/T's i'm gonna be pissed...

Old 02-10-2006, 09:07 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I would think those super powered SRT-4s have had some major work done on the suspension/motor mounts......

Dusty

Old 02-11-2006, 03:04 AM
clean_sx
Record Breaker

if i were to trade and pay a lil more for a caliber srt4, it would have to be AWD, and electric blue.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:50 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

A 350 whp SRT-4 would not do as fine as you think... RWD and AWD 350 whp cars would take off on it nasty...

ORIGINAL: clean_sx

if i were to trade and pay a lil more for a caliber srt4, it would have to be AWD, and electric blue.
We think exactly a like....

Quick Reply: Caliber SRT-4: Confirmed 300 HP w/ pics