Caliber SRT-4 This compact crossover combines high performance with the interior room of a small SUV.

SRT-4 = NO AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:37 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SRT-4 = NO AWD

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject
I disagree. You could use pretty much the exact same setup in the Sebring/Avenger and whatever coupe comes from that. You already would be using it on the Caliber....and why not the Jeep Compass or Patriot? I can easily spot a few places that would make that drivetrain more appealing. Also, the current Dodge Stratus R/T came with an Autostick.....so you could easily offer that instead of JUST a manual.
They COULD use it in the Sebring/Stratus. The Avenger is long gone , Unless you mean the Avenger concept which probably won't get green lit with the Caliber and Nitro both in production [>:]. But I don't know how much life is left in the Stratus, and IIRC the Sebring platform may move to RWD with the next incarnation as well.

The Compass is built on the same platform as the Caliber and already has a 4wd system. Whether that system is true 4wd or AWD I do not know. But the setup that the Caliber uses is well within the power range of the compass, since it uses the same "World" engine. The Patriot will use the same engines as both the Caliber and Compass, but it's built on a different platform. There isn't a lot of info right now on what options it will have, so I'm not sure what system it could even utilize. Either way, unless they plan on building an SRT version of either of the vehicles (which isn't likely), they wouldn't NEED a performance AWD system for those vehicles either. I'm not saying SRT versions COULDN'T be produced, but I'm guessing one of them (or both) would have to show strong sales and a strong demand for an SRT-ified version in order for any development to start. And even then, there would have to be a strong demand for an AWD version along with a strong demand for AWD on the SRT-4 Caliber. The only reason the Caliber is getting an SRT-4 treatment right out of the gates is because they're killing off the Neon.

As for the transmission, I don't think Stratus' Autostick would be up to the challenge of handling the power this vehicle is putting out. 300hp/260lb-ft of torque is quite a bit of power. You need a beefy auto to handle that...especially in a FWD application. And if you start adding Stage kits those numbers will go up...beyond what any of Chrysler's FWD transmissions can handle.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:50 AM
hemi 265
Professional

Wasn't the caliber built on the same platform as the next gen Lancer/ EVO?
I have a feeling Dodge plan to start with the FWD sell heaps, and then bring out an AWD SRT-4

Old 03-03-2006, 02:27 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

They COULD use it in the Sebring/Stratus. The Avenger is long gone , Unless you mean the Avenger concept which probably won't get green lit with the Caliber and Nitro both in production [>:]. But I don't know how much life is left in the Stratus, and IIRC the Sebring platform may move to RWD with the next incarnation as well.

As for the transmission, I don't think Stratus' Autostick would be up to the challenge of handling the power this vehicle is putting out. 300hp/260lb-ft of torque is quite a bit of power. You need a beefy auto to handle that...especially in a FWD application. And if you start adding Stage kits those numbers will go up...beyond what any of Chrysler's FWD transmissions can handle.
The Stratus coupe is done as of the 05 model. The Stratus sedan's final model will be the 07 model. After that, it's being changed to the Avenger/Rebel/whatever they are gonna call this.... but it wont be the Stratus anymore.

I agree....there may very well be a RWD incarnation of this car...but not anytime soon. Virtually EVERY midsize sedan made today without a V8 is FWD. The only exceptions being possibly Mercedes/BMW. I think there might be a couple others...but we're talking a half dozen cars tops.

As for the autostick comment, I was merely pointing out that it is possible. Please remember, the SRT-8's are all automatics....and they come with that whopping 425hp....same with a Corvette.....so I disagree...but I do see your point.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:54 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject
As for the autostick comment, I was merely pointing out that it is possible. Please remember, the SRT-8's are all automatics....and they come with that whopping 425hp....same with a Corvette.....so I disagree...but I do see your point.
I do agree that it IS possible. There are Rams putting down insane amounts of power through automatic transmissions. I was just saying that Chrysler doesn't have one in FWD configuration for the Caliber. I'd LOVE to see an autostick put in the SRT-4. It's possible and they could develop one, but you're talking about more costs again [>:] It all comes down to how well the Caliber does in sales. If it's a hit, you can bet we'll see a lot more options in the future.

That and Chrysler has always been a bit slow in the Transmission game. [>:] It took them almost 10 years to develop one that could actually handle the full potential of the 5.9 CTD. And now they're switching to a larger Diesel. They'll have to start development on a stronger transmission now....[:'(]

Old 03-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

first off wow this thread hit a hot spot, and wheres that dodge rep now?? ok i got some things to answer for you guys, first off an awd system capable of handling the power would be extreamly profitable they are going to keep this new platform for at least 2 1/2 3 generations with alterations along the way. Also the jeep will undoubtly be offered as an SRT and notice how that SRT-8 jeep has AWD, its feesable and do able. And it would be greatly profitable, they just need to make it workable to the tuner, the next Evo the X isnt going to be that Tuner Friendly due to the overwhelming abilitys the 8 and 9 have its pushed Mitsu to make the 10 less workable to the average joe, and more of a computer geeks dream date. and suprise the Caliber is on the same platform as the EVO!!! as far as the mid sizers go lost cause until they can come up with something that will freaking work for once and not call it a stratus thats a gay name and its a rental car for godsake makes something to take on the camry and MAKE IT GOOD!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 05:10 AM
dodgejosh

how hard is it to get an awd platform??? mercedes benz is puttin more and more of their parts on chrysler products... the lx platform has mercedes trans.... and the autostick in them and the shifter in them and in the jeep grand cherokees and commanders.. bam mercedes parts....i know this because last fall i was throwing in shifters on grand cherokees because they were junk... the box they came in was a mercedes box.... the entire crossfire mercedes... i know u guys all know that....awd systems arent hard to come by... mercedes isnt known for having low power cars...

Old 03-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the Caliber is on the next gen Lancer platform... I don't see the problem with an AWD system for the SRT4 either...

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

Oh the new Avenger is coming... https://dodgeforum.com/m_407951/tm.htm and so is the Sebring... and I believe AWD options will be coming with them...

Old 03-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

the caliber platform is AWD, the real reason is probabally that the caliber was in pre-production while mitsu and DC where still together and Mistu made a deal with DC to not make the caliber to one up the EVO so maybe mid cycle they will squash the mistubishi and that will drive down the prices of the the preveous SRT-4's (non-AWD) so all we can do is wait, just remember that they changed the Neon SRT after one year, i.e. Added a LSD and 15 more horsepower. So all we can do is wait till the first year run is over and see what they got in the works for us. Man am i glad im not buying a first year run of this car.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:18 AM
hemi 265
Professional

Yes all we can do is wait i mean lets face it Dodge is really going places, heck we are geting Dodge in Australia this year and i cant wait. i'm sure if Dodge hears us loud enough they will make an AWD SRT-4 at some stage. They are smart, they know they will get people around the world that will buy it with FWD as it was anounced in Geneva that it will be sold in left and right hand drive to the world and then bring out AWD and get proberly some of the same people and more people buying SRT-4's AWD.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

Maybe with dodge going world wide they will see more intrest in the WRC which would really kick off a rival between them and Ford, ie the Focus they only sell in europe. then we would have a sweet litle rival here in the states that dodge would already have the upper hand in, with the current Caliber being an AWD platform it would be easier. Other than that it would put Ford at a greater dissadvantage cause they have no plans to market the euro Focus in the united states. GO DODGE make an AWD Caliber and enter it in the WRC

Quick Reply: SRT-4 = NO AWD