Caliber SRT-4 This compact crossover combines high performance with the interior room of a small SUV.

SRT-4 = NO AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT-4 = NO AWD

And the award for biggest letdown is .....Drumroll please...... SRT-4 for not utalizing its own freaking platform well i might as well spend the money for a srt-4 on lets say a EVO or an STI that seem to have AWD!! Nice one letting us down Dodge, but that is just their performance minded way of thinking, yeah i mean replace the cheapo neon with a car that if you add any options cost more than a neon, then make the SRT-4 about 5 grand more than a Neon SRT-4 and not give it the AWD it deserves. Oh well maybe the Jeep compas SRT-4 will Have AWD

Old 03-01-2006, 09:56 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: SRT-4 = NO AWD

Chrysler doesn't have a performance AWD system...nothing that can handle that kind of power. That's why it doesn't have AWD. They should've kept their stake in Mitsubishi. Or better yet...bought the comapny. Then they'd have access to one.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with you Majin_Neon_00...

Chrysler does have an AWD system that can handle that kind of power... Check the LX platforms... They should have developed one for the Caliber... it's BS...

Old 03-02-2006, 04:21 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

It's all cost. Who's going to buy a 30k Caliber?

Old 03-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

I know right... Who is gonna buy a 25-30k 300 hp AWD compact car?

wait... people buy Evo's and STi's every day...

[&:]

Old 03-02-2006, 07:53 PM
shiltz
Captain

Yeah, and I don't think an AWD caliber would be $30k anyways, I would expect they are going to keep the FWD SRT-4 close to the old SRT-4 price, my bet is it would probably be around $22k, an AWD system would add maybe $2k to the price of the car, plenty of people would pay $24k for a 300hp AWD compact car.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

The cheapo SRT4 was 22k... better interior, better performance parts and 70 more horsepower is gonna raise the price more than 2 bucks...

Old 03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

I agree with you Majin_Neon_00...

Chrysler does have an AWD system that can handle that kind of power... Check the LX platforms... They should have developed one for the Caliber... it's BS...
True, the LX platform does have AWD. But they are primarily RWD cars. 62% of their power is sent to the rear wheels, according to the system specs. They would have to develop a completely different system for the Caliber considering that it's primarily a FWD car. The development of that system for one vehicle...a special low volume vehicle to begin with (SRTs are considered low volume) that also doesn't have an auto trans for "mass appeal"...would add quite a bit to the cost of that vehicle and the option itself. I'm guessing around 2-4k considering they probably wouldn't have a use for it on any of their other vehicles since they're almost all RWD now. If it sells well enough, they may start developing it but I doubt it will sell that well. From the reactions I've seen on various interent forums, a majority of current SRT-4 Neon owners that I've talked to about the Caliber plan on going to something else because they don't like the "wagon" look of it. The sheer power that it has doesn't seem to be as much of a factor as the look [>:]

I do agree that the price is going to be a bit higher than 22k though. I priced a nearly FULLY optioned RT (I didn't go with the highest audio system) and it tipped the money scales at 23k. I'm guessing the SRT will be around 25k due to it's lack of some of the options and addition of others.

Me, I plan on buying a Caliber RT. I want the AWD for safety here in the wintery north, and the Auto trans because my gf doesn't know how to drive stick. And since she's going to be the one driving it, she's the one that has to be comfortable with it. Maybe I'll get an SRT hood for it though...and maybe a set of those rims. Maybe even a custom turbo setup someday when we get a different vehicle to replace it [8D]

Either way, I'll get my manual trans....when the Challenger hits the streets [sm=gears.gif]

Old 03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shiltz

Yeah, and I don't think an AWD caliber would be $30k anyways, I would expect they are going to keep the FWD SRT-4 close to the old SRT-4 price, my bet is it would probably be around $22k, an AWD system would add maybe $2k to the price of the car, plenty of people would pay $24k for a 300hp AWD compact car.
I have a feeling that the FWD srt-4 will at start at 24k.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

They would have to develop a completely different system for the Caliber considering that it's primarily a FWD car. The development of that system for one vehicle...a special low volume vehicle to begin with (SRTs are considered low volume) that also doesn't have an auto trans for "mass appeal"...would add quite a bit to the cost of that vehicle and the option itself.
I disagree. You could use pretty much the exact same setup in the Sebring/Avenger and whatever coupe comes from that. You already would be using it on the Caliber....and why not the Jeep Compass or Patriot? I can easily spot a few places that would make that drivetrain more appealing. Also, the current Dodge Stratus R/T came with an Autostick.....so you could easily offer that instead of JUST a manual.

Quick Reply: SRT-4 = NO AWD