Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

HIDs in Alberta

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89newbie
Thanks for that comment. No Law, Canadian or U.S. will never eliminate misuse of lights.
While I agree with your comment, its something to put into perspective.

Laws against killing have failed the eliminate murders, and acts that lead to another's untimely death... however, if you think about what kind of world we would live in that did not outlaw killing another human, it brings into perspective the fact that most people when made aware of the issue, either through education of enforcement, they will attempt to comply.

Consider it a step in the right direction.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 AM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, Your message is noted How about these laws. Always dim to oncoming traffic, don't tailgate. Dat's what Im talking about! Common courtesy.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 AM
fargo39
Professional

not sure in alberta but in saskachewan when we do a sgi inspection part if the insp. we aim headlights and check for brightness. you would be suprised how many vehicles meet the minimum brightness. i think part of the prob with hids is these guys putting in 6000-10,000 k lights. i have 4000k bi xenon and properly aimed headlights never had a problem.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM
CanadianRam15

Haha, I brought this up in a motorcycle forum, about individuals putting HID kits n halogen reflectors. I got a bit of GFYS! it is a danger when not aimed right and from I have heard actually reduces the desired effect of better vision. great discussion, here, obviously more mature audience than my other forum Oh, speaking of tailgating, lol, it seems in Alberta they don't know personal space when it comes to driving! I have noticed more with pick up truck drivers, when I drive a car, trucks come up to my rear like a dog sniffing a bitch in heat, but with my truck, not so much, hmmm, bully mentality? I have driven in Europe, South west Asia, Middle East( and they are aggressive), Africa but something about our drivers here....not good!

Last edited by CanadianRam15; 04-04-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:43 AM
manntis
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the main problem with aftermarket HIDS is chaps "rebasing" HID bulbs to put them into cheaper halogen projectors. The thing is, HIG bulbs and halogen bulbs are different lengths. If the light source is in the wrong part of the projector, it isn't reflected properly inside the projector before being sent out through the lens.

You want to ensure you purchase DOT compliant HID projectors and proper HID bulbs. Canadian laws recognize DOT compliant parts as conforming to CMVSS standards (with a few exceptions e.g. bumpers)

Old 02-13-2015, 01:01 AM
N-Breitk

i just installed an HID conversion kit into my truck. i have pretty darn good eyes but after having a few close encounters with wildlife i decided i needed something brighter. I put a 21" LED light bar in my bumper (which i do not use on public roads) and i bought the HIDS. i really dont understand what the complaints are about? yes they are bright, i get that, however they are not being used to put anyone in harms way. they are doing the opposite by helping everyone see better/wider. Could someone please explain to me the issue with having that "hard to see" light for 2-3 seconds? im not using them to **** anyone off, im using them to help my self stay out of harms way.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:24 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

The complaints are from the other drivers whom you blind with your HID's in regular housings.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:37 PM
N-Breitk

Originally Posted by jkeaton
The complaints are from the other drivers whom you blind with your HID's in regular housings.
So your telling me that my lights are less intense then the factory HIds in most new fords? Considering intensity is when more light is shined on a smaller area my lights are definitely less intense in brightness.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:37 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

No I said HID's in standard housings.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 PM
N-Breitk

Originally Posted by jkeaton
No I said HID's in standard housings.
Yes, my HIDs are in standard housings. They spread the light over a larger area making them less intense then lights that focus them into a small area (ford's factory HIDs for example)

Quick Reply: HIDs in Alberta