Central MT, WY, CO, ND, SD, NE, KS

Hughes Engines is ripping people off

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 AM
jamesaray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparPat2
F.A.S.T products makes computer/wire harness kits for the Hemi swap but they are not cheap. You can purchase conversion engine mounts from a few different places like Tin Man or Schumacher.

I believe that the F.A.S.T part number that you are looking for is 301012. I saw a guy at a car show that made this swap and it looked awesome. He pulled a 5.7 Hemi with transmission out of a totalled out Challenger and says that he picked up horsepower and mileage with the swap.
Hey, I love F.A.S.T. and Competition Cams. I live in their home town!

With that said, we have emissions testing. They plug into your OBD2 port when they do this to check for codes. What will they see when they try this with a FAST ecu??? I doubt they will exempt me and let me get tags.

If it weren't for that I would have already done it. I would not be looking for any upgrades for this 5.9L dog motor. I would just drop a 6.1 off in here, rip out everything related to this 5.9L, and install a F.A.S.T. ecu. A good Viper 6speed and a MOSER rear end would round it all off. I would expect to average 15mpg rather than have that as my best mpg and I would expect to see upper 12's 1/4 mile times rather than upper 15's.

That's all pie in the sky stuff until I can figure out a way around the emissions part of it.

Hence, the reason I'm dealing with Hughes. They are the only game I can find that modifies the FACTORY ecu to work with upgrades.

Last edited by jamesaray; 06-08-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 PM
MoparPat2

When the inspectors check for codes, they are likely just looking for things like "EGR valve not working" or "catalytic converter removed" or something like that. You should contact FAST and ask them. It is free to ask.

As far as reprograming the factory ECU, Hypertech makes Power Programmers that do that.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...3/viewall.html

Hughes uses an SCT tuner and they are available elsewhere:

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/archiv...p/t-12568.html

E-mail Sean (hemifever) he'll get you whatever you need.
Ask him for the unlimited tunes. cost about 375$ and you can get as many tunes as you wish. So this way if you ever put some new mods, just write Sean and he will make the changes you need.

hemifever@aol.com

Old 10-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Dakota89!
Default Hughes Engine -incompetence and arrogance

Hey. Mopar guys. As a follow up to thread. I too have been screwed over by Dave and Hughes Engine. I read your thread before ordering a mild cam upgrade but after talking to Dave figured he knew what he was doing. Only needed one part, a cam, and it was in the catalog. Only thing the part number was now different. I questioned the change and was reassured it was correct for my 89 Dakota 3.9 V-6 LA engine. Dave was aware of the differences in the LA motor and Magnum motors and would personally write the order and personally inspect the cam before it got sent out. Sounds safe and ok. Right...the cam was sent to me and the garage who was overhauling the engine installed it. All was good, truck sounded good and drove it home and put 450miles on it before slight ticking noise appeared. Took it back to the garage and they agreed it sounded like lifter noise. Left the truck and the next day the mechanic said the cylinder heads were dry and they had tested the oil pump and pressure was fine. Tore the engine down again and determined the cam had no oiling provisions machined in. Dave and Hughes Engine had used an incorrect cam from a Magnum engine and not the LA engine my truck had. Even after my questioning him and his assurances they got it wrong. Dave offered to correct the cam and at NO ADDITIONAL COST. No additional cost but the $2694.00 to overhaul the engine and new parts from his screwup. Not his responsibility. My emails and phone calls were not returned except for one....Dave told me go ahead and hire an attorney I would never see any money from him. No ethics, no responsibility...just incompetence and arrogance. Dakota89

Old 09-28-2022, 05:27 PM
Edw

Originally Posted by MoparPat2
You are wasting your time and money by dealing with them. I paid them $5,862.13 to rebuild my numbers matching 440 in my Coronet R/T. They claimed that it made 525 HP. It dynoed at 287 HP on a G-Tech and ran 15.4 in the quarter mile, .2 slower than the stock engine that had 104,000 miles on it.

The engine used a quart of oil every 100 miles since start up. The intake gasket blew at 450 miles and I found that the center two passenger side intake bolts were finger loose. Then a valve seized up at 2,000 miles and the oil pump failed at 3,100 miles.

I then pulled and took the engine to Gary Stanton Racing to be disassembled, examined, measured and inspected and found that the cylinder bores were out of round by .0035 and were bored .043 over when .030 over pistons were used. This caused oiling of the plugs which made the already limping engine run worse. A valve had seized up in the open position because they machined the valve guides too small on the ID and then hammered them into the heads. When the valve seized in the open position, the piston came up and smacked the valve back into it's seat and bent it. Then when the cam turned and tried to push the push rod to lift the valve, the push rod bent and fell into the lifter valley because the valve was bent and seized and didn't move.

In typical fashion, Dave Hughes said that this was all my fault and he wasn't going to back any of the poor machine work and assembly that he claimed was done by a disgruntled employee that he had to fire two weeks after building my engine.

It was all my fault because I started the engine. If I had never started the engine, I would not have had any of these problems.

"Heads you lose" when dealing with Hughes Engines, his "Heads you win" slogan is a joke. Poor quality, poor attitude, insulting and nasty toward cash paying customers and non-existant customer service. Once they get your money, you are done.

$5,862.13 for 3,100 miles? And they destroyed my numbers matching engine to the tune of costing another $5,500 to get it fixed and I had to go .060 over with new pistons to save the block. The heads were destroyed because he over ported them among other issues. He machined away the choke area above the valves completely and this is very important to scavenging the air into and out of cylinders.

I would really hate to see them rip off any of you guys so stay away. And before he tries to discredit me, let it be known that I am a senior design engineer at Holley Performance. He talked to me like I was an idiot and would not even reply to emails. When I called him, he talked to me like I was the dumbest SOB on the planet for 10 seconds and then hung up on me!

DO NOT SPEND MONEY WITH THESE CLOWNS, you will regret it believe me.
They did a absolutely great job on my big mouth headsRespectful great business practices

Old 09-28-2022, 05:34 PM
Edw
Default Done a great job on my cylinder heads

Really good business practices great work ethic done great

Here it is done a great job
Job and my 410 small block ran awesome
AT least 50 hp increase

Last edited by Edw; 09-28-2022 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Edw
Really good business practices great work ethic as wellGood Job and my 410 small block ran awesome
AT least 50 hp increase
Pics and receipts or it didn't happen.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:40 PM
Edw

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pics and receipts or it didn't happen.

here it happened here is the proof

Old 09-28-2022, 09:42 PM
Edw

Originally Posted by Edw
They did a absolutely great job on my big mouth headsRespectful great business practices

Old 09-29-2022, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Edw
And where is that engine now?

Quick Reply: Hughes Engines is ripping people off