Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

carb spacergnition

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 PM
440ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb spacergnition

well i have a 78 440 in my 88 ram and am wondering if a good 4 hole or open carb spacer is a nice bolt on part i should get.

i already have all other bolt on goodies such as hooker headers, msd ignition, edelbrock 750, perfromer rpm manifold, and a k&n filter with the air lid to top it off.

i have heard that the spacer is mainly for high rpm use such as 5000-up, but being a 440 needing all that air, wouldn't the extra plenume area be helpful power wise, i probably only spin it to 4600-4800rpm. Also since it would be plastic wouldn't that be a great aid in resisting heat sink to the carb?

the engine itself has a stock cam 425lift in & ex, but is soon getiing a voodoo cam spec at 454in &475ex, and the compression is around 8.3 with the 88cc heads, but also soon to be a set of aluminum 75cc heads, so that shoud help compression to the 9.0 range

i just want to know if someone has tryed a carb spacer on a faily stock 440 engine and what were the results, 1/4 mile,60 footer, or even a dyno

Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 AM
mr340
Muscle Car Moderator
Default RE: carb spacergnition

I think you put this in the wrong section, you wanna move it should I? You might get batter response to your question in the Ram section.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:44 AM
440ram
Professional
Default RE: carb spacergnition

well i guess i'm gonna have to answer my own post

well i installed a 2 inch open spacer on my motor 2 hours ago and here are my results

after two minutes of ideling the carb. was hot enough to burn my hand before the carb spacer(mayby this is why my truck was kinda hard to start after driving it all night and re-starting it hot)

well afetr the intall the truck ideled for 15+min. and even through some revs to it, the carb. with the 2 inch plastic edelbrock spacer is now cool to the touch, the spacer definitly did an amazing job of keeping heat sink off the carb., dropped carb. running temps from 130 degrees to almost 70 degrees, and if you use the ol' rule of thumb that cooler fuel is more dense which in return creates power can very much be true,BUT unfortunitly my truck doesn't have a driveshaft right now so the seat of the pants test was not a current option, but a new one is on order and should be here in approx 1 1/2 weeks

my prev best at the track is 16.1 so this is the only change i made so i can maybe see what kind of power i made

also if you look at and ls1 motor it has an entire plastic intake manifold that only reaches 130 degrees(i used a thermo scanner on my 2000 camaro) then i warmed up my truck which has an aluminum intake manifold and it reached over 175 degrees.

my point is that if you are building a carb. motor definitly get a 1 or 2 inch spacer for EZ hot starts and reduced heat sink, and maybe a nice gain in ET times and HP won't know until truck moves

Quick Reply: carb spacergnition