Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

1968 Superbee just purchased

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 PM
coolclassiccars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 Superbee just purchased

just bought a 68 superbee 383 4 speed car. i do not have the vin number yet but have some fender tag info. can anyone help me break this down. i want to of course make sure that i am buying a superbee car.

ax=48, trm=H4B, prt=Q01, ubs=u7 next line is :
m21 62 3 44 124 194694.

i am a mustang guy but always wanted a MOPAR and this one was presented to me yesterday.

what do i need to do to check it out to verify that it is superbee car and what kind of production nubmers are on the car? i am told by the owner that the 383 is gone but a 440 comes with it. he also tells me i am getting 3-4 of almost everything to build the car (except motor anf trans). doors, fenders, hoods (which is a question it has humped hood sitting on it but three flat hoods come with it. what is correct or accceptable?), glass front and rear and the body is in awesome shape no rot anywhere except rs lower kick panel. floor and trunk are great, rad support and frames are awesome as well.

anyway what do i need to do to verify the car. i will do the car correctly but need inputs on what makes the most sense for correctness and value.

the old man who owned it has been collecting parts since early 70's. another question and hopefully does not offend anyone is since the 383 is gone and he is giving me a 440 for it but would i better off going to the 426 instead or 440 six pack set up?

i am traveling so i can not get my hands on any data or books soon and i am excited about the car so i thought i would get some feedback here.

thanks in advance guys
jerry

Old 03-02-2008, 10:55 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran
Default RE: 1968 Superbee just purchased

Congrats!!

WM21 = 2dr coupe Superbee
QQ1= light blue metallic paint
H4b= Blue bench seat
Ax48 = Suregrip (posi)
62 = 383 4 brl 330HP
3 = 4 speed
44= redline tires

194694 should be last digits of VI and would compare to last digits on VIN tag on dash

Should have bulge hood in '68. Flat hoods are used by some guys to add air induction scoops and Ram Charger system that was not available in '68. I'm just guessing that's why he had them

Sounds like very nice ride! Hopefully deciphered correctly...66-68 tags are a bit funky to decode.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 PM
coolclassiccars

dodgebrothers,
thank you i ahve been on the edge not sure if it is a superbee for sure. thaanks for the confirmation.

any thoughts on the motor issue i described? should i go for 383 date coded, 440 that i am getting or try for the optional 426? i realize there is cost for each option but what whould bring the best rate of return down the line. also where can i buy car production info, and judging book for this car so i do it correctly?

thank you again for the good input.
Jerry

Old 03-02-2008, 08:00 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

Cool,

Glad to help, but I would suggest you have Galen Govier at GTS.com do the full work up on it to decode everything. Hopefully, there is a broadcast sheet under the backseat- would be of huge help/value to you as well.

Herd's Charger/Superbee book is pretty good, there are others out there as well, just can't think of them off hand. Wingwarriores website is very good as well, has alot of info on all B body mopars.

To your question about engines, If it were me, I'd look for period correct 383, especially if the trans and rearend are matching. 440 you can't go wrong with, but they were not an option in '68 on Superbees. Hemi is always great, but big $$ and expensive to operate and not very street friendly...but, you can't beat it for "awe" factor. All depends on what YOU want to do with it?

Good luck, sounds like a nice machine!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
coolclassiccars

awesome input. i will try the web sites suggessted. sad part is i am in Orlando and today in Miami was the mopar nationals that would have been a great place to get started on my mopar project.

thank you dodgebrother for your much needed inputs and i will look into the block issues.
Jerry

Old 03-02-2008, 09:49 PM
coolclassiccars

dodgebrother i will try to get some photo's once back in PA. this is a project that has been off road for 15 years, so it will not look great now but then it is about what it will look like in a year.
thanks Jerry

Old 03-03-2008, 09:49 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

You're quite welcome, always happy to help a new "Mopar" member.

Post pictures when you get a chance and keep us informed.

Good luck

Old 07-18-2011, 12:29 PM
froy
Rookie

try mymopar.com they have lots of info on the old muscle cars.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:30 AM
HeavyCharger

Hey man a little thing is with the engine is that I have heard that the 440 six pack will beat a 426 straight up. just a little info for you if you choose to take that route

Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Default hemi reff.

you need to remember that chrysler didnt put just any parts in each engine. the street hemi 1966 was not meant to go as fast as the race hemi 1964. so, 1967 street hemi intake & exhaust duration both 276 degrees. intake lift .467" exhaust lift .473". i dint know but ill bet the race hemi has higher numbers. just for reff.

Quick Reply: 1968 Superbee just purchased