Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

69 Super Bee slow cranking???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Mopar Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Super Bee slow cranking???

Have a 69 Dodge Coronet Super Bee with a Crhystler 400 block. Having some problems with it cranking very slow. With the battery just sitting and nothing on it, it shows 12.6 volts on the meter. While cranking it reads between 7 and 8 volts at the starter. So I know I am loosing a few volts between the starter and the battery. So here is the set up. The negative on the battery goes to the block, the block is grounded to the radiator housing, firewall, and frame with all new connections and wires. The positive from the battery goes directly to the starter and the starter is grounded to the block. Like I said all new connections and grounds clean. Replaced the starter and still having the same problem. Moved the battery from the trunk to under the hood to shorten the cables and still the same problem. Even though I know it is a voltage loss problem we retarded the timing 5 degrees in case of engine kickback and still nothing. If anyone could help it would be appreciatted. We are going to put a different starter on again tonight to see if we had an off the shelf bad one?
Tim

Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Mopar Member

89 views and no replies...ha-ha, uh-oh, looks like its going to be a long night...

Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Had the battery load tested?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Mopar Member

Ya we load tested the battery, we finally put another new starter in and now it turns over great but no spark the new distributer we put in doesn't spin fast enough. Guess that's why the last owner had a points distributer on it, so we are gonna put that back in unfortunately and she should fire.

Quick Reply: 69 Super Bee slow cranking???