Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

Wrecks to Riches on DISCOVERY

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:23 PM
HEH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wrecks to Riches on DISCOVERY

Everybody needs to take a closer look at Berry White's show. Do some of the numbers backward.
If he really put $17,000 in his pocket and really went through 425 manhours - then his shop rate is $40.00/hr. Do you think that his shop woould put a world's class paint job on your car for $40.00/hr. + cost of materials and get it done in 20 or 25 manhours?
About the $17 grand - Barrett/jackson has taught us that somebody paid up for the auction fees - wonder if any of that was subtracted from the $17 gees?
About the 425 manhours - does anyone think that any shop could:
Locate/purchase and transport the two cars
Strip out both the rebuilder and the donor cars
Locate/order/inventory all of the parts needed for the rebuild
Design the finished product
Do the steel work - floor boards - fenderwells etc.
Prep the body for paint
Paint and detail the car
Trim exterior
Do the glass work
Install interior
Install the wiring
Install power train
Transport the car to Reno and get home?

There a bunch of steps involved in getting down to bare metal and then getting to the street. The hours just don't seem to add up.

Berry White's series is the best of the 3 shows I watch (American Hot Rod/Chop Cut Rebuild).
Coddington is a soap opera - everythings late - people cry and quit - tatoos all over the place - Bleeps over bleeps. Berry and his crew seem to be much more grounded and overall more professional. No tricks no gimmicks - just plain steel in the street and rubber on the road.
CCR spends too much time cruising the streets in a great rod talking about what's coming up. Not enough time showing the work.

What does everyone else think???

Old 07-13-2006, 03:27 AM
bdering
Rookie

I just watched the GTO buildup again last night. Did anyone else notice the shower of sparks under the car when Barry was powerbraking the car? Looked like it was coming from the driver side of the engine towards the back. Since this was an automatic, I am fairly certain this was not clutch dust... I had seen this episode before but this was the first time I noticed the shower of sparks.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:54 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have yet to see the GTO, but now I know to look for the sparks if I catch that episode.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:40 AM
bdering
Rookie

Hi 71RoadRunner,

This is the episode where they have a bunch of young guys from one of the local automotive tech schools working on the car. They are in competition for a job at Barry Whites speed shop. The GTO looked nice, but did not bring what he wanted at the auction so he did not sell it. I am sure they will run the episode again.

Quick Reply: Wrecks to Riches on DISCOVERY