Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

Wrecks to Riches on DISCOVERY

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 06:39 PM
AA?FA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecks to Riches on DISCOVERY

Hey guys and gals did anybody else catch last nights wrecks to riches?
They built a 71 GTX from a 71 RR and 71 Sat.
Used a crate 426 as the block they bought was junk [:@]
727 and painted it Plum Crazy Purple. looked sweet when they finished it.
They had 425 Hours in labor and 55 K in the car.
trick push button transmission shifter on wheel ala "F1" not paddles but buttons.
Sold it in Reno auction for 72K....

The best part was they used a Magnum Force "K" member to install coil over front end and rack and pinon steering..
it was made from 4130 and allowed a bigger 10 qt oil pan
Of course the replaced the 8.375 with a 9" Ford 373 gear.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:44 PM
johnthasilver
Default RE: Wrecks to Riches on DISCOVERY

I saw it~Really nice~But I have noticed this guy is using "Krylon" to paint interior and other parts!! What no insulation or powder coating~Makes you wonder if the cars he builds have other cut corners~What was up with the 9" ford?~A Dana would have really rounded the mechanics with "ALL Mopar" stuff~Dana is a Better Third member too!

Old 04-28-2006, 03:16 AM
bdering
Rookie

I saw that episode as well. And I had thought about them cutting corners but it was in reference to something else. The car did come out looking nice, but I sometimes wonder how long these cars would last in the 'real world'. Though, it seems that most appear to be bought by collectors that are going to display them in a garage or trailer them from place to place. And I agree that the rear should have been a DANA. Should have gone with the 8 3/4". Just my opinion...

Old 04-28-2006, 05:26 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too caught that episode and would have recorded it if I had any blank DVD's left. Now I'm just waiting for the repeat since I have the blank discs to record it. I really want that trick K member for my Roadrunner, nothing like dropping almost a hundred pounds while making it better and stronger. I was also quite shocked that the numbers matching restored Hemi Roadrunner before his only sold for high fourty thousand and he was too as it worried him since his was a poser that has more than that in it.

The next episode I saw was with a '69 Camaro that was supercharged and didn't even go for nearly as much as the '71 Roadrunner/Satellite/GTX thing did.

When I finally get my numbers matching 383 and 727 checked for condition I will then decide what I will ultimately do to it. The 383 was blown by the original owner whom I guess drag raced it since everything was stripped from the car such as the A/C and all related hardware and the windshield washer assembly (bottle, pump, hoses, nozzles, etc. and pushing the washer button/**** blows the horn[sm=icon_beat.gif]) and threw a rod which has take a small chunk out of the bottom of two cylinder walls. The 727 is said to have a hair line crack that keeps it from holding fluid pressure, but I think that's absolute BS as it was in the car when I bought it and drove it for several years. It was rebuilt, or was allegedly rebuilt and was how this problem was found, when I bought the 440 that's in it and had it put in. Up until this point it was strong enough and good enough to kick solidly into gear and if I left it in drive and simply stomped it it was good enough to lay down much rubber and break the tires loose each time it shifted, once at 45 MPH when it goes into 2nd and again at 90 MPH when it goes into 3rd gear, so I know that it was and is perfectly fine. The street/strip 727 I bought shifts ever so slightly harder in normal driving than my original, but is the same when floored. If both are saveable and useable, I may go back to 100% stock, but if either is trashed beyond use then I will go wild with it and make the one on that show seem tame in comparison. If I go wild I will either build a 440 or get a Hemi or get the Hemi heads for a 440. It will be either n/a and adapt the air grabber scoop to my hood between the scoops/engine call outs or I will put a blower up through the hood scoops/engine call outs. Oh, well....I can dream can't I?

Old 05-10-2006, 03:57 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

It was on again tonight and this time I got to record it on DVD. The '71 Satellite Sebring GTX clone sold for $75,000, that's a $20,000 profit.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:24 PM
BIGSEXY
Professional

Yeah,But I think Barry White is a a@&^%$hole how would you like to work for someone like him?

Old 05-14-2006, 09:29 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

I haven't seen enough of the show to tell exactly, but he does seem to be that way from what I can tell. Boyd Coddington seems to be worse in some ways and I've seen more of his show.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:28 AM
bdering
Rookie

I sometimes wonder if the TV producers do their best to show conflict. It makes for better "Drama" than just watching somone restore a car. Overhaulin' is different in that the "Drama" comes from the person who's car is being overhauled. It almost seems like the producers are trying to recreate American Choppers. The only difference is that I know Paul Sr., Jr., Mike, Vinnie, ect... And they all are really like that.

Just a thought...

Old 05-17-2006, 02:18 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend

I'm not into choppers, but I do still like to watch American Chopper for all the stuff that goes on.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 AM
331charger1968
Rookie

I saw that episode with some fellow muscle car lovers and all of us thought that he should have put a little more time & effort and fixed up the Roadrunner NOT the satillite...at least the Roadrunner is rare and a better investment than a satillite, and the Roadrunner should have been saved.[>:] We all noticed this Berry White guy always cuts corners on the show. The finished "fake GTX"looked nice, but he sure aint no Chip Foose.

Quick Reply: Wrecks to Riches on DISCOVERY