Dart, Demon, and Duster Talk Dart, Demon, and Duster (& other 'A' bodies) specific topics within.

1974 Dart Slant 225 to 360 conversion should I forget about it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Dart869
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 Dart Slant 225 to 360 conversion should I forget about it?

[align=left]Hello everyone, I was hoping someone can help a newbie out regarding this engine swap. I am the proud owner of a 1974 Dart swinger with a perfectly working stock slant 225/904 transmission combo. I just purchased a complete and great running small block 360 for a good price but don't know what is required for this swap. I checked different sources and have come up with some answers but here are two that have me confused. 1) Is there two different versions of the 904 transmission V8vsSlant 225? Can I use the stock slant 225-904 with the 360, do I need a different drive plate and torque convertor? What about the drive shaft, do I need a different drive shaft and rear end? Will junkyard parts from a stock 318 dart take care of most of what I need?I love my car but would like a V8 to really make it go and the 360 seems like the ticket but am I headed for destruction of a perfectly working vehicle? How long should this swap take considering it will be me and my brother working on it? Would it be more fissable to just sell it and get me stock 318 Dart?. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
[/align]

Old 04-20-2007, 02:08 AM
72DUSTER
Default RE: 1974 Dart Slant 225 to 360 conversion should I forget about it?

mmm well go for it... 360 is a very good choice small block. the stuff u will need is pretty much new front end suspension and new engine mounts. they arent very expensive i just ordered a set a lil while ago because im doing the same but in a duster. if the 360 is coming out of a truck it is advised to change out ur cam, u'll get better performance for what ur using it for. also dont deal with a 904 transmission whether or not it will go with ur 360 isnt the issue, the 360 will tear up ur transmission and possibly ur stock rearend. so the best bet is to get it all done asap so that u dont have to keep buying a fixing. as far as v8 junked parts go, yeah u can find alot thats my only problem, there are no junk yards around to help me.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:33 AM
dnfd737
Veteran

been here done this......you need a 8.25 or larger rearend but if you have money the 904 can be made to be better than a 727any reputable tranny shop can do it but be ready to drop about a grand for that. Shuemacher its misspelled im sure makes the motormounts you can get away with stock front suspention for a while but crank up the torsion bars

Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 AM
74Mopar

One thing you might consider is changing your k-member to a V8 out of a A-body car. The engine mounts are offset on the slant six, as opposed to the V8's were even with each other. Although the new Mopar magazines sell engine mounts for conversions from sixes to eights, which could save you some work. Anything worth doing is worth doing right! My preference would be to change the k-member, I have never used the new engine mounts so I really cant tell you how worthy they are. Depending on where you look you should be able to find a A-engine k-member for cheap, try a salvage yard, these parts are easy to find. As for the transmission I have been told the 727 is a better tranny than its counterpart the 904. The guys are in the know about the weight of the V8! Adjust the torsion bars and re-alighn the front end.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:48 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

One other option is to hop up the slant six. You seem a bit reluctant to make the full conversion, so it is another route while you assemble the necessary parts. A four barrel intake and 4 barrell and a header will wake up your slant six. That way you can enjoy the car awhile while you map out the larger project...just a thought.

Quick Reply: 1974 Dart Slant 225 to 360 conversion should I forget about it?