Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Fixing hazed over headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:08 PM
02QCGirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing hazed over headlights

My headlights aren't clear, they look hazed over. Its on the outside and has some kind of texture to it, not chipped or anything. A friend of mine told be toothpaste will take it off? Has anyone that has had this problem fixed it successfully without replacing the whole headlight?

I just got her last week and I really dont want to replace the headlights already.....

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/74250/C82B0565E6F54663AF24BF49341992E6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2007, 01:51 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran
Default RE: Fixing hazed over headlights

ORIGINAL: 02QCGirl

My headlights aren't clear, they look hazed over. Its on the outside and has some kind of texture to it, not chipped or anything. A friend of mine told be toothpaste will take it off? Has anyone that has had this problem fixed it successfully without replacing the whole headlight?

I just got her last week and I really dont want to replace the headlights already.....

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Google "headlight cleaner" and you'll find many products to do the job or if you don't feel like doing it yourself, call around to some detail shops and find one that does headlight restoration.

We just got some done here at the dealership where I work for $15 a light.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:32 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WETSANDING:

Supplies:
Wet/dry sand paper 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, & 2000. If you can't find them all that’s okay. You can find them at any auto parts store. Get 1 or 2 sheets of each.
3M Rubbing Compound, it can be found at Kragen or any auto parts store in the auto paint section, by the sand paper. If not ask.

Instructions:
Start with the lowest grade sand paper (400, 600, 800....2000). Wet the sand paper before each use in a bucket of warm soapy water. Then start sanding headlight for about 3 to 4 mins. with each grid of sandpaper. Make sure the sand paper stays wet. Keep doing it until smooth...be patient. After done dry and your lights will be a little hazy/ cloudy..don't freak out. This is were the 3M rubbing compound comes in place. Follow the directions on the back of the bottle. Then it will look like new. Works great I highly recommend.

You may then want to try a product called LampGaurd to protect your lenses from getting scratched up again.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 AM
02QCGirl

wow..ok!! sounds easy enough!!

thank you both for your input!!! i will let ya know how it turns out!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 04:44 PM
marionso14
Professional

you can also use Meguiars PlastX. its in a white bottle. you can use it on any clear or coloredopaque lens. may take a few applications depending on how hazy they are. i use them on the blue lights and head lightson my patrol car and it works great.

Quick Reply: Fixing hazed over headlights