Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

messed up clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:05 PM
outcast
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messed up clear coat

i had my friend take off my door badges on my passenger side while i was out of town i come back to a 1x1 ft sqaure of black spray paint where the badges were and it looks like he tried to wet sand it back off so the claer coat around the square is all scrached up to. I want to know is how i can get this off with out repainting my whole door.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:08 AM
tbeck1985
Rookie

you could try wetsanding with 1500 grit, and then buffing it. but if it comes out that spot is going to be extremely shiny so be sure to blend it out a little bit.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would take it to a body shop and have your fried pick up the bill,
FF

Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 PM
S@DA

Try polishing it 1st see if it clears out, since it might be wetsanded already. If not, wet sand with finer grid 1st becuz it's thinning the clear coat and test different level of polish compound. I would still suggest to see a pro detailer to narrow down your choices. It depends on how deep the damage is. I have made my car worse b4, luckyly it was not at a obvious spot. hehe

Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Neonewbie
Professional

i had similar questions - 1 - there is a 1ft x 1ft area of spray paint speckles. Not a lot but noticeable. I tried using an SOS pad, bad idea. It war the clear coat off. HOW do i remove these speckles without leaving dull patches? -2 - How do I get rid og the left over "sticky residue" left from removing emblems (2001 neon?) Thanks and sorry for hijacking your thread. Along with what was said above and the responces to come, I am sure we will fix our issue(s.)

Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

Use rubbing compound for the decal residue removal.
FF

Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Detail King

For the OP if he actually used spray paint then if your lucky and he went cheap then you might be able to claybar it off if there was still clear under it that will keep it from bonding correctly. If it just looks dull like spray paint that is relatively normal for debadging and some compound and polish will bring a shine back, and correct those sanding marks as well but if he used the wrong grit and they are deep gouges then you will need some 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit to properly wet sand it. If he used spray paint and it bonded correctly then im sorry to say it will most likely need to be re-cleared.
Originally Posted by Neonewbie
i had similar questions - 1 - there is a 1ft x 1ft area of spray paint speckles. Not a lot but noticeable. I tried using an SOS pad, bad idea. It war the clear coat off. HOW do i remove these speckles without leaving dull patches? -2 - How do I get rid og the left over "sticky residue" left from removing emblems (2001 neon?) Thanks and sorry for hijacking your thread. Along with what was said above and the responces to come, I am sure we will fix our issue(s.)
For the 2nd question if you just made it look dull but you didnt see any of your paint color on the sos pad or any other item used to wipe then your still good same process for the wet sanding and compound and polish that should correct the SOS pad if not through the clear and remove the speckles but for those i would try a claybar first its great for overspray but only result to sanding if its your last option. For the Sticky residue they make something called an eraser wheel that works great or using an old gift card nothing with sharp edges though and if you use a gift card turn almost parallel to the paint and use slowly then same compounding steps.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:16 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

My wife's car Suburban had over spray from spray paint on her passenger side quarter panel that no one in my family will confess to using. I took it to a detailer as I really had no idea how to remove gray paint from a black SUV. He used acetone and it came off and the clear coat and paint look great. I am not a professional like Detail King or the guy that did my wife's vehicle, but you could try acetone on a hidden spot as claying would not work in my situation.
FF

Old 09-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Detail King

Originally Posted by fascistfaction
He used acetone and it came off and the clear coat and paint look great.FF
Acetone also works great for cleaning non tinted windows like the windshield if its a smoker car it removes smoke film its some crazy stuff but works amazing when you get it on your hand it dries almost instantly. but if you ever want to buy some its commonly used to remove fingernail polish or those fake nails so you can get it at the store around that stuff.

Quick Reply: messed up clear coat