Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

clay bar experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Nappers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clay bar experience

Okay, I just bought a "new" 05 Dodge Neon to fight the ever rising of gas prices. The price of $9,499 sold me over a Honda Civic. After looking over the Neon forum here, I decided that the $7,000 price over the Neon was not justified for a Civic, Corrola or Focus.

When I got the car the paint was not as smooth as I wanted. After a few washings and a wax with Meguires NXT, the paint was still not to my liking.

I got a gift certificate from a local sports store that sold lots of auto stuff from my dad.

I bought a Meguires clay bar kit, Meguires quick detalier (to add to the one in the clay bar box), microfiber towels, CA. duster and went home and did some research on claying thge car.

I went to work one afternoon somewhat in the shade. I started one panel at a time and worked the clay bar while spraying the quick detail. I went in back and forth strokes as not to add swirl marks. Well less than an hour later, my car was smooth as a baby's rump. I then used the Meguires cleaner wax and applied it by hand with a Meguires foam applicator. After removing the cleaner wax, I then applied the Meguires NXT wax and WOW what a difference. The clay bar removed so much junk on the paint (a lot on the spoiler) and it glistens quite nicely in the sun.

I used Mothers vinyl on the dash and followed up with Meguires interior detailer, what a nice car now. I found out that the interior detailer works wonders on glass and water runs right off of it and no streaks. I used Back to Black on the window seals as the car is well...a year old officially and got the black back to black so to speak.

If you are scared to clay your car as I was, don't be. Don't worry about not using too much quick detailer while claying as a few squirts and never got a dry spot, thus sticking my clay bar to the paint.

I clayed my 2000 Yukon and it looks awesome, took road grime right off and have over half of the larger bottle of quick detalier left. I even used the quick detalier after a quick dust from the CA dusters and the car looks great. I did use a 6" orbital waxer on the Yukon and the paint looks good as new with the same steps as above.

Have fun.

L8R

Aaron
Nappers

Old 05-11-2006, 09:21 PM
mopar222
Veteran
Default RE: clay bar experience

They actually make a pad that the clay bar will fit into, making the whole process even faster and less painful. Use the clay and pad with a dual action buffer. Works well.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Scott P

ORIGINAL: mopar222

They actually make a pad that the clay bar will fit into, making the whole process even faster and less painful. Use the clay and pad with a dual action buffer. Works well.

I never saw a need for that product. I prefer to use clay by hand. You get a good feel for the paint that way.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:22 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

PICS!!!!!

Old 07-08-2006, 10:18 AM
22inchmag

instead of using quick detailer, i would use the clay bar while ur washing your car cause u have ot make sure it stays real wet and soapy to make sure that clay will get everything off your car and the mothers clay bar only works after like 2 times

Old 07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
joel95ex

i have used many clays and i like the clay magic the best..... all clay makes waxing easier and seems to last longer..... just make sure you are using plenty of detail spray or soapy water......

Old 08-04-2006, 03:31 AM
Nappers
Professional

Not the greatest shot but it really looks nice in person.

Aaron

Old 10-05-2006, 02:24 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

From where I'm sitting, the paint looks great. By the way, I love your quote there. Made for a good laugh. I'll try the clay bar on my truck too. It could use a little TLC.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:25 AM
Nappers
Professional

I read (I believe on this forum) that Dodges come out of the factory with slight overspray on their cars which is no problem. Since that picture I have re-clayed the car and waxed it with NXT wax. It really rolls like glass.

I really want to enter the detailing business soon as I have learned a lot on the meguiarsonline.com site (they have everything you need to know about restoring/maintaining paint) and I have people asking me to do their cars as they have seen my Neon and my '00 Yukon. I am really tired of my current job.

Thanks for the compliment.

Aaron

Old 02-01-2007, 12:03 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

Ill have to admit the first time i seen the clay bar in action i was impressed, now i have done over 50 diffrent cars with it I love it and i will stand by it to the end it works! i dont use the little mothers claybar they have larger clay bars out there that are about 200 grams made by auto magic in 2 difrent grades. fine and Med. they last longer and are designed for auto detail shops. you can use a light detergent to use with it. althogh you have to be careful cause some detergents will break down the clay bar.
http://www.automagic.biz/specialt.htm

picture of my care after a wash clay and wax. 10 years auto detaling experiance

Quick Reply: clay bar experience