Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Removing road line paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Queenbee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing road line paint

Hey all!! I just bought a '03 QC 2 weeks ago and the previous owners ran over fresh line paint. Is there a good product or way to remove this crap? It's on the flares, under the bottom of the truck paint (front to rear) and up under the wheel cover. Looks like hell. I was thinking of using a soft brush or rubber scraper? Thanks bunch![sm=smiley16.gif]

Old 08-13-2006, 04:51 PM
djr04
All Star
Default RE: Removing road line paint

First thing to try should be a clay bar with spray wax as the lubricant on all your painted surfaces. If you keep at it and keep the bar lubricated, It will remove all of that paint spray without damaging your vehicles paint.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Queenbee

I've read about the clay bar and watched a video on Adam's Car Products website. I'd like to get their's but don't want to wait for it to get here as I can't find it here in Georgia. Is Mother's or Meguires equivilent? I know both have been around for years. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:35 PM
griz1200

Any brand of clay bar will work just fine. You can pick it up at either AutoZone or Advance and usually comes with a spray bottle of lubricant. Spray wax is a good lube too and regular old Windex glass cleaner works just as well. Word of caution...if you happen to drop the clay bar while using it, make sure it's free of any dirt or sand etc. as it will damage the surface. I put a piece of clean plastic under the area just in case.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran

i have had bad experiences with the clay, it didnt remove any of the paint off my truck

Old 09-13-2006, 07:49 PM
bdering
Rookie

Hi Zeppelinrocks,

Clay may not remove all contamination. However, it is usually the best place to start before working with progressively harsher solutions such as rubbing compound or wet sanding. If you still had paint (I am assuming foreign paint overspray or splatters), then perhaps the contamination was able to bond lightly with your original paint. If that is the case, then you would need to proceed to more aggressive solutions.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:54 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

I know this post is old but use Lacquer thinner on a red shop rag rewax area afterwards for the inside of the fenders where its not painted use flat black paint . . . do this step first

Quick Reply: Removing road line paint