Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Washing in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:13 AM
draftingmonkey
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing in the rain

Just finished washing the wifes Honda CR-V, my Ram 2500 QC LB and Magnum R/T. Pouring rain out, first in a long time here in SoCal. Was wondering if anyone else washes their rigs in the rain. Being lazy I love it because after washing, wheels, tires & top to bottom, I give a good rinse and am finished. Been doing it for years. Finds that a good rain washes down the hard tap water and leaves the paint virtually spotless when it dries. As an added bonus and to conserve water, wear shorts or swimtrunks and take out some soap and shampoo and clean yourself while out there. May sound nutty but leaves the cars **** and span and me rainwater fresh.

Best of all it makes the neighbors think you're nuts and they have a tendency to 'leave the crazy guy down the street who washes his cars in the rain alone". OK, I never said I wasn't a little crazy.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:10 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Washing in the rain

I have done it before, not a down poor but light rain. But I then pull into the garage and dry it off and it does not go back out until the rain has stopped. It does make it easier, you can soap up the entire car without having to stop to rinse/worry about the soap drying on the car.

This also is great to do if you know the rain is about to end (weather.com radar rocks) and you want to be the first clean car on the streets once the rain is gone.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:35 PM
shnormo
Veteran

I put the soap and water mix into a spray bottle so it's easier to apply easier.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:06 AM
morfoot
Rookie

Well being from Washington where it is only sunny for 3 weeks in August, I wash my car in the rain all the time. When I was in the Army and I first bought my Honda Civic, I would wash it every Friday no matter what (That was when I was single and I went out on Fridays). My wife just a couple weeks ago was giving me crap because I was washing to car and it was raining out. I'm not like her, I don't like to roll in a dirty car if I don't have too. I also pull it into the garage and dry her off, but I hate taking it out when the roads are still wet/damp. You get that dirty road water all along the sides and rear. DAMN RAIN!!!

I guess I'm the crazy guy in my neck of the woods eh?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I did it all the time while stationed in Germany, and yes, the Germans left me alone.........

Dusty

Old 06-06-2007, 06:52 PM
draftingmonkey
Captain

ORIGINAL: morfoot

Well being from Washington where it is only sunny for 3 weeks in August, I wash my car in the rain all the time. When I was in the Army and I first bought my Honda Civic, I would wash it every Friday no matter what (That was when I was single and I went out on Fridays). My wife just a couple weeks ago was giving me crap because I was washing to car and it was raining out. I'm not like her, I don't like to roll in a dirty car if I don't have too. I also pull it into the garage and dry her off, but I hate taking it out when the roads are still wet/damp. You get that dirty road water all along the sides and rear. DAMN RAIN!!!

I guess I'm the crazy guy in my neck of the woods eh?
Must be west of the Cascades. If you live on the east side (born ands raised in Spokane) it is mighty dry over there.

Dusty...all I cansay is LOL

Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 AM
WhiteBerry
Veteran

I've GOT TO try that! i hate trying to dry it before the sun evapoates the water!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: WhiteBerry

I've GOT TO try that! i hate trying to dry it before the sun evapoates the water!
In Arizona the water will evaporate even in teh night

Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

lol i might try that later this week if this damn rain doesnt stop

Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Every time it rains hard here, I back my car out of the garage and let the rainwater rinse all the dust and light dirt off. Works like a charm. And no need to dry it off, since the rainwater is much softer than tapwater, it leaves no spots. Thank you, Mother Nature!!!

Dusty

Quick Reply: Washing in the rain