Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Black paint, what am I doing wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:00 PM
speakle
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black paint, what am I doing wrong???

I have a black '06 ram qc that was absolutly gorgeous when I got it. Now after a dozen washings or so there are fine scratches, swirl like in some areas all over it. I know this is from washing it because the scratches go in the same direction as the cleaning movements. I wash it off real good, rinse the rag often with the hose bfore putting it back in my bucket, clean the muddy areas and then rinse the rag or brush beofre moving to a clean area. Help!

Old 03-10-2007, 10:55 PM
ZoomZoom24
Default RE: Black paint, what am I doing wrong???

what i use on my fiances black z24 is a meguiars 3 stage wax, the paint cleaner... polish and tech wax. The polish gets rid of all the swirl marks from the sponge and brushes from washing it. I'd say try using a liquid polish and see how it turns out.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:30 PM
speakle
All Star

If I have the truck for 5 years, what will the paint be like then, wont the finish be worn of by then? It just scratches soooo easy. I will never own black again unless its a weekend car.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

Your mistake is you bought black.
Thats why I went with Bright Silver It looks the same dirty or clean.
I went black one time and will never do it again. Dumped the sucker at a loss after six months, just didn't find that extra day every week it took to keep it looking good.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:32 PM
MyFirstDodge

Read the guid to detailing that I posted a few weeks ago, I think it is only a few threads down in the detailing forum. The article about washing will dramatically reduce the amount of swirls you put in your car after every wash. Also, I don't know if the article mentions this or not, but purchase a gritguard (www.gritguard.com) Also, sponges or brushes have no place in washing anything but wheels/wheel wells/door jambs/ and engine bays. PM me if you have any further questions.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

My Liberty was black... Once you go black, you will never again!

I can tell you what the problem is almost certainly. ANY particles on your brush or rag will ruin your paint. When washing mud/dirt off first wash it off with a hose so that ALL the dirt is off... then use a very high lubricating wash(Meg's Gold Class is great stuff). A good idea would be to get a wash mitt, you can get them at Walmart, and just throw it in the wash when you wash your whites, and keep it in a clean area for storage, not the bucket! The bottom of your bucket probably has dirt in it each time you wash your truck.

As for repairing the damage that is already done.... you have a few options.
- take it to a professional detailer.
- do it yourself with consumer products such as Nu Finish Scratch Doctor or Meguiar's ColorX
- Sell teh black truck and get one in a different color!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:52 AM
speakle
All Star

Well, while I may regret buying black now I think trading it on my current favorite choice of white, 4x4 with the clearance lamps is out of the question. I will check out the stuff you mentioned MyFirstDodge, thanks for the help guys...I will let you konw how it goes.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:29 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

stop washing your car in the drive way and pay the few bucks to have a machine do it!!!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DOHCgarrett t3

stop washing your car in the drive way and pay the few bucks to have a machine do it!!!!!
Worst idea ever!!!!

Never use the automated washes, they will scratch it like none other! Those brushes just collect dirt from every vehicle before you.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:00 PM
MyFirstDodge

ORIGINAL: MoparMJM

ORIGINAL: DOHCgarrett t3

Worst idea ever!!!!

Never use the automated washes, they will scratch it like none other! Those brushes just collect dirt from every vehicle before you.

2nd that.

Side note - Picked up my RAM TODAY!!!!!! Can't wait to get her vinyled up for my biz then get a good quality clay and seal in the next few weeks. She will never see a tunnel wash..not even a touchless.

Quick Reply: Black paint, what am I doing wrong???