Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > Dodge/Ram Diesel > Diesel General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best years for cummins?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Veteran

Default Best years for cummins?

I am just curious for different opinions on what model year had the least issues.. Is the 12 valve more bullet-proof than the 24 valves? 5.9 or 6.7?

Have heard the early 24 valves (98.5+) had issues with injection pumps and things..Is this common? Looking for a nice older truck for under say $10-12k that can be moderately modded and will tow well.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
PA Truck Club #2

Last edited by rideordie; 05-31-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Old 06-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Veteran

Nobody has any sort of input as to the different issues with the different model years?
PA Truck Club #2
Old 06-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Captain

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 3500 MegaCab Laramie

I cannot comment on specific issues for various years... however I was considering a similar issue less than a year ago.

I went with a pre-DPF 5.9 Common Rail engine. It had fewer miles on it than anything else I would consider. The truck it comes with is descent as well. Newer technology, more comfortable.

Every engine will have issues, every truck will have issues.

2006 - RAM 3500 Megacab Laramie - 5.9 CTD - K&N CAI - LightForce Driving Lights - KC LED Driving Lights - ReTrax Bed Cover - Inferno Red - Compustar Remote Start - Nasta Stainless Step Bars
Old 06-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I cannot comment on specific issues for various years... however I was considering a similar issue less than a year ago.

I went with a pre-DPF 5.9 Common Rail engine. It had fewer miles on it than anything else I would consider. The truck it comes with is descent as well. Newer technology, more comfortable.

Every engine will have issues, every truck will have issues.
I certainly agree with you that every vehicle will have issues at some point..But working at a parts store, I have to disagree in a sense - there are some vehicles that are just prone to some issues (either by design flaw or whatever else), like cavaliers and their muffler straps for example (although a rather small replacement).

Surely each of the generations have their own problems. But I'd rather have smaller/less expensive/easier common issues than the other way around. Just curious as to what kind of common issues they all had.

What year did they start enforcing DPF's strictly?
PA Truck Club #2
Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Captain

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 3500 MegaCab Laramie

2007.5 they pushed the DPF's into enforcement. That's when the 6.7's came into service as well.

I think what you'll find with the CTD, is that they are very reliable engines as most people here will attest to. HOWEVER, there is 1 abundantly apparent shortcoming to the truck...

1) The transmission
- The tranny in the 3rd Gens are a common complaint, however it seems to be a common complaint more to diesels, across brands, rather than a Dodge issue. It seems the 4th Gens are getting descent reviews on the new transmissions... This is all 3rd hand information, I only have a 3rd Gen Dodge. No experience with a 4th. On this note, people who have refrained from over-extending the performance of the 3rd Gens using programmers or the like, seem to be quite happy overall (as I am).

2006 - RAM 3500 Megacab Laramie - 5.9 CTD - K&N CAI - LightForce Driving Lights - KC LED Driving Lights - ReTrax Bed Cover - Inferno Red - Compustar Remote Start - Nasta Stainless Step Bars
Old 06-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Champion

Vehicle: 98 12v, my 9th MOPAR

Bone stock 48re is ok, lots of room for upgrades.
The 68rfe is a better trans out of the box, holds up to plenty of abuse (but not stupidity), but it comes coupled with a bunch of stupid emissions crap.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Veteran

Vehicle: a 05 3500 4x4

i my self like the 98.5-2007 with the 5.9L.. But out of that like 03-07 5.9s the best but still like the 98.5-02s
Old 06-09-2011, 04:05 PM