Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Small oil leak from timing cover!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Greasy24
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small oil leak from timing cover!

So havent had my truck for 4 months or so and i discovered a small oil leak from my timing cover. Took it to the dealership so they could assess the damage and they said they needed to clean it up and add UV Dye or they told me so and srive it for 500-1000 miles. I was already suspicious of this to start with! So now 500 miles later it has almost completely stopped leaking! Again suspicious. So im pretty sure they put stop leak into my BRAND NEW TRUCK! Now im taking it back to have a talk with them and ask what was put in my truck that almost stopped the leak. I been arguing with the service manager about this for several weeks and he even said he would rather not spend 8 hrs replacing the timing cover gasket. At this point im royaly pissed off and dont know what i can do about it, anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-02-2015, 01:49 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're coming off as hot headed, and that's about the fastest way to get dealership staff to not want to do anything for you. Is there any reason you suspect that they put stop leak in the oil instead of dye? As a mechanic, there's about a zero percent chance I'd throw a stop leak product in a vehicle under warranty if it wasn't endorsed by the manufacturer.

My suggestion is to relax, drive the truck, and keep poking your head under there until the oil reappears. When it does, give the dealer a call and get back in there. If it doesn't come back, don't sweat it.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Greasy24
Veteran
Old 10-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Greasy24
Veteran

I understand where your coming from and i know most these pictures are very dark, but therw is no way this much oil coming from the timing cover is going to magicaly stop leaking with just Uv Dye! Like you said what dealership... Hell what person would put stop leak in a brand new truck with only 4000 miles on it. I wouldnt even use it period all it does is stop every oil passage it can down the road. All im saying is that the service manager said he didnt want to replace it and let my guy pull it in the shop for 5 mins and add Uv Dye then my leak magicaly stopped? I might be wrong maybe they tryed to tighten the timing cover bolts to stop the leak. All i know is the leak was getting worst and worst and then right after the dealer added whatever they did it almost completely stopped. They would not even give me paperwork to show what they did to it even.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Greasy24
Veteran
Old 10-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Greasy24
Veteran
Old 10-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Greasy24
Veteran

So brought my truck in Monday night , they started work on Tuesday , and done Wednesday afternoon. Only 3 things they forgot that i noticed so far. 1 vacumn line clamp, and 2 electrical wire snaps off. Also i checked the oil and its half way down the safe marked area on the oil dip stick, you would figure they would top it off when they where done. They also ignored a recall i asked them to do which i got in the mai and handed to them to do, it was a side airbag overly sensitive that required reprogramming.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:19 PM
Greasy24
Veteran

Im gonna degrease and wipe down everything under the truck tomorrow after i get off work and check over everything again to see if i missed anything. I do have to say they where very generous with the RTV silicone squeezing out all over the timing cover even thought they put down on the paperwork they didnt use any. Oh and the updates the paper says isnt the recall, that was me asking them to make sure my tranny didnt need any updates because it shifts all weird.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:32 AM
clipper77
Veteran

Hopefully it is fixed for good.

I hate dealers.

Quick Reply: Small oil leak from timing cover!