Notices
DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Intake Install 2005 Stratus by prv02

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intake Install 2005 Stratus by prv02

How to put a new intake into a 2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan.
Full article with better formatting and pictures

Steps:
1. Find an intake (look for a K&N filter)
2. Make sure you have plenty of time and no where to go (in case of problems)
3. Remove the original intake
4. Put on the new intake
5. Double check your connections

Tools:
1. Flathead screwdriver
2. Socket wrench
3. Drill (optional)
4. Pliers (optional)

Links:
1. Air Intake - They don't make one specifically for the sedan, they are custom made. Search through his list to find it.
2. Air Breather Tube - This kit doesn't give you a hose long enough. (Item number: 5041K57). I got 3ft.

What to do:
1. After ordering and receiving your air intake, verify that you have the basic components. This will include; a flat bar, a 90 degree bracket, a chrome tube, a K&N filter, a hose, and some hose clamps.

2. Look at your engine and locate each part you are going to need to disconnect or remove.

3. (Below are substeps)
1. Remove the original air intake. This is done by loosening the nut above the battery.
2. Now you need to take off a hanger on the left hand side of the original intake. Just lift up and it comes right off.
3. There is another one of these that holds a tube connected to the back of the intake. Just lift up and take this off as well.
4. Before lifting the original intake out of the car, you need to remove the intake guide located at the very front of the car.
5. This is done by pulling out the plastic "screw" that is holding it in place. Note: You can't just unscrew this. You have to yank it out, and it will break off some of the teeth that hold in down. You don't need this for the new intake so it shouldn't matter unless you plan on putting the original back on.
6. Next you want to detach the filter from the filter box. This is done by pressing the two tabs together and pulling it out. You won't be able to completely take it out, but it will allow you to remove the box easier.
7. After removing the intake guide and unlocking the filter, you can lift up the air intake box. This entire box comes out as 1 unit. Just lift up and and pull it out. It should come out with minimal force.
8. Now it is time to remove the air sensor and the oil breather hose. This is done by just pulling them out of the original intake tube.
9. Lastly loosen the hose clamp that is holding the original tube and filter and remove it.

4. (Below are substeps)
1. Now it is time to install the new intake. Start out by putting all the pieces together. It should look similar to the piece you just removed in the last step of number 3. Place the new intake back onto the engine and tighten the host clamp.
2. The intake will be dangling so we will need to secure it. Since your kit might have different mounting hardware, this step might be different for you. I received a straight piece of metal that was about 7 or 8 inches long. They didn't give me any ideas on where to mount it. For this step you need to look around you engine to find a good place to mount it. I decided it would be good being attached to a metal shield right behind the intake.
3. Here I removed the new intake. Placed the metal strip up to the shield and drilled some holes. Note: Make sure you use a paper tower or some towels to keep metal shavings from getting into the engine. Once that was completed I used some screws with locking washers and nuts to hold it securely. I then placed a host clamp onto the intake so that I could wrap it around the metal strip to keep the intake from bouncing too much. Another thing you might want to note is that I attached it to an area on the engine. Since the engine does move, I wanted the intake to move with it.
4. If you remember from step 3 there were a couple of wires that were attached to the side of the original intake box. This is a good time to remount those. In my case, I choose to hang it off of the post that the original intake box was attached too. Note: After placing it onto this bracket, use pliers to tighten it to make sure it won't come loose.
5. Now, place the new intake back onto the engine just like you did before and place the hose clamp over the metal bracket. Then tighten the hose clamps so they fit snugly.
6. Now place the air sensor and oil breather hose you removed earlier into the new intake. If you don't get the new breather tube, you need to place the new tube inside of the original tube.

5. Lastly, double check all your connections were made and that it seems secure. Take it for a quick trip and then double check the connections again after you get back home. Your final outcome should be similar to mine below.

DodgeStratus

Quick Reply: Intake Install 2005 Stratus by prv02