Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

anyway to disable the sentry key system

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This is why after I bought all 3 of my new Dodges back in 08, I got on eBay and bought a grey transponder blank key for about $20 each. Had my local Walmart cut them for free a
then programmed each one to each vehicle. This way I have 3 for each one so if one gets lost, I always have 2 good ones to reprogram a third without paying the high price of going to the dealer for a new key.
But, your way will work too.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

o yeah, i forgot about the feature which you can program ur 3rd key if you have 2 working keys. and Aftermarket transponder keys are cheap, ilco the brand most common brand i've seen.
The manufacturer says the real reason behind transponder key is Fleets and Rental car co. doesn't want their customers to easily make new keys.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

That makes sense since they only give you one key when renting.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:00 PM
fpuhala
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because the system is a piece of crap? It disables your car for no reason, and only the dealer can undo it. Reason enough!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I have 3 with the system as do several family members and none have ever had an issue with the system.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:52 PM
tryduck

You wont like whats comming then. You pretty much are no longer going to beable to use aftermarket radios in new cars due to whole system revolves around the factory touch screen radio now(yea makes sense but we dont want people texting and driving but EVERY new car now has touch screens). You will not bypass/disable this system and are forced to either tape chip to the pickup or have a custom ECM/PCM/TCM/ABS/PASSLOCK/CC/PW/PL computer made to your liking in order to operate all the systems.This system was implemented in all cars to help cut down on car thefts overall but was taken to extremes.Same with the air bags/ABS/seatbelt systems.I would try to find a CAN/PCM builder and even then your going to dish out price of 20 keys just on a custom programmed PCM and even then conflicts and bugs will need to be worked out.Seems like a huge undertaken being this isnt a track/modified vehicle but you got the funds someone will build you a custom PCM.Your really going to hate it when all vehicles are required to have GPS so they can monitor your body weight,how you drive,what music you listen to while driving,how hard you brake or accelerate and combine that with local maps to find out what fuel stations you choose or what stores you visit(on-star already does this and has full control of your vehicle just so you are able to push a button and talk to someone, they call it for your safety so you ignore the real reason)Yes they already have your personal info and are able to sale driving habits back to your insurance company or any other company who is willing to pay them.....If you want technology it comes at more cost then you know.In all just go to a home depot and have your Chip fequency/key cloned and wont need dealer reprogramming.Or put chip key in IGN and leave it there, have 2 door keys cut and place one on body somewhere and use other to unlock doors so you never loose your chip key.Then again I am guessing you still want that keyless entry fob .......Which also uses chip in key so you will end up without keyless entry with a custom PCM. Seems like a huge headache to get all upset over....

Old 03-21-2015, 04:30 PM
carycarycary
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

:icon _clapclap::icon_clap clap:
Originally Posted by fpuhala
Because the system is a piece of crap? It disables your car for no reason, and only the dealer can undo it. Reason enough!

The following users liked this post:
JonVigue (06-26-2022)
Old 08-27-2016, 05:54 PM
jstmahoney
Captain

Just my .02
I had my key reader go out in my caliber when it was about 2 years old. I had to have the car towed to the dealer where they figured out it if had gone bad.the car only had 30k or less on it. Now I've had it recently refuse to start in two incidences repitivrly. Till like magic it rolled over. Now I'm wondering if it's going out again, or I'm having a different issue. I wish I could disable it as well. At least have the option.i did do what lxman did, I bought a generic key on eBay and programmed it so I have 3 keys in case.

Quick Reply: anyway to disable the sentry key system