Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Rattling noise in engine as if something is about to fall off :(

Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 AM
adale714
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise in engine as if something is about to fall off :(

We have a 2008 Dodge Caliber and the past two weeks it has started making a constant rattling noise from passenger side of engine. I lifted the hood and tried to pin point where exactly it was coming from and it seems to me to be coming where the belts are...I am no mechanic though and need help Any guesses as to what it could be? Money is tight as I am sure it is with many so we want to find out if it is covered under our warranty before having them do a diagnostics that will cost us $60 alone if it's not covered. My brother made a random guess and things it may be a loose heating plate. Our caliber isn't fancy and is an automatic basic model Thanks in advance!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What warranty do you have? Did you buy it used or new and how many miles are on it.

If you are still under the 36k mile warranty then pretty much anything under the hood will be covered.

As far as what is rattling, there just entirely to many parts that can loosen up under the hood that can make a noise. My advice, don't wait, get it into a garage and make sure everything is tight so nothing will fall off and either break something worse or cause a something to stop working that you may need.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I would start with removing the belt. Start it up to see if the noise is still there. If not, then it is a belt driven accessory and I would spin them by hand to see if they make noise or are rough feeling.
It could be the special alternator pulley or possibly the belt tensioner. Does the noise change as the rpm's go up?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM
adale714

After doing more research (I love google) I was able to become 98% sure that it was the alternator. I called the dealership to make sure that that was covered and gave them the go ahead with fingers crossed...they called today and it was the alternator Thank you everyone!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:16 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Glad to hear. Thanks for the update!!

Old 05-19-2013, 11:22 AM
GloriaS
Default Alternator

Originally Posted by adale714
After doing more research (I love google) I was able to become 98% sure that it was the alternator. I called the dealership to make sure that that was covered and gave them the go ahead with fingers crossed...they called today and it was the alternator Thank you everyone!

Hi,
What was wrong with the Alternator? I'm having the same problem. The noise is coming from under the hood towards the passenger side and you can hear it more when the car is parked.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Usually it is this pulley on the Alternator that makes noise:

Litens OAD

The overruning clutch pulley on the Caliber is refered to as a Litens OAD. OAD stands for Overrunning Alternator Decoupler. It is a wearable item and will need replacing on every vehicle that it is on. The part is available in the aftermarket and can be replaced without replacing the entire alternator. For more info you can go to www.decouplerpulley.com. One thing to remember is to never replace with solid pulley. THe belt tensioner will go nuts and there will be major issues.

ps. This Litens OAD has been on the Dodge Caravan (2001-2005) for many years. Mechanics are just now learning about the OAD and that it CAN be replaced by itself to $ave the vehicle owner money.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Mandyz
Default 2007 Dodge Caliber AWD

My car is doing that too! I just had my catalytic converter replaced and there is a plate under the car that they forgot to screw in. I don't think it's just that though. It's coming from the passenger side and does make a difference when Rpms are higher. It mainly does it when I am in drive but stopped and if I put it in neutral it stops. In park there is a faint noise. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 02-16-2015, 12:33 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Good possibility that it is the alternator pulley. Remove the belt and see if the noise goes away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattling noise in engine as if something is about to fall off :(