Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT rear making squealing noises?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM
DannyPytell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT rear making squealing noises?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the Dodge Forum

I've been having issues with my 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT with the rear brakes (or at least I believe they are the rear brakes).

My car was due for rear brakes a few months ago and I had taken it in to a repair shop to get it fixed. However, a few days after leaving the shop, I was hearing this loud piercing howl from the rear of my car when my car reached 10-0MPH while braking.

I took the car back and they claim it was dusty brake pads and that after cleaning them, I'll be good to go.

As soon as I got to my driveway and slowed down to park, the noise came back.

I took the car back yet again to the repair shop and explained how the squeaking still exists and how they can fix it. They told me they'll order Dodge brakes rather than use the NAPA ones they did, claiming it could make a difference.

A few weeks later I was able to bring the car back to them and they switched to Dodge brakes...and guess what? A few days later, the squealing came back!

I am no longer going back to the repair shop as they told me if it squeaks after the Dodge brakes are put on, they are out of options (thanks for the help, right?!).

I had originally thought they may not have resurfaced my drums as it didn't say so in my invoice. But when I talked to them, they claimed they did and, when I brought it back for the Dodge brakes to be switched, they claim they resurfaced the drums again.

The squealing has gotten REALLY bad lately! Here is what I've come to understand from the noises and when they happen:

- First thing in the morning when I pull out of my driveway onto the street, if I even slightly touch the brake pedal, the sound is incredibly loud and howls until I release the brake.

- The sound gets better throughout the day and the drive, but it does remain every single time I brake to a full stop (usually once I slow down to 10MPH-0MPH).

- The car only makes the squealing noise when braking after driving forward. It DOES NOT make a single sound whenever I push the brake pedal while going in reverse.

- The squealing is worse braking down on an incline rather than braking while driving up one.

I don't know what it could be at this point. I'm taking it into a more reputable mechanic later this week, but I wanted to try the forums to see if anyone else with a Dodge Caliber (or maybe even a different car) has experienced the same issues and how they went about fixing it.

I'd like to believe it's the brakes, but after getting them done twice, I'd hate to have to pay to have them done yet again at another place when I am not sure if it'd even fix this annoying and embarrassing noise (you should have heard my car driving down eight stories of a parking garage in traffic...howling the entire way down!)

I want to thank those who have read my post for taking the time to read through my issues with my Dodge Caliber (other than this squealing, I absolutely love the car!) and I also want to thank every person who responds with helpful advice in advance, it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:27 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My dealer told me to get aftermarket rotors that back in 08 Chrysler was broke and used cheaper parts.
Worth a shot, also it is good to put a little brake grease behind anything that rubs against the backing plate.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Chuck Simikian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's been a few years since this was posted. But I had the absolute exact same problem with my 07 caliber. It turns out after taking a back four times on the fourth time they said it was a bearing on the right rear that was bad it was causing the problems.

Originally Posted by DannyPytell
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the Dodge Forum

I've been having issues with my 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT with the rear brakes (or at least I believe they are the rear brakes).

My car was due for rear brakes a few months ago and I had taken it in to a repair shop to get it fixed. However, a few days after leaving the shop, I was hearing this loud piercing howl from the rear of my car when my car reached 10-0MPH while braking.

I took the car back and they claim it was dusty brake pads and that after cleaning them, I'll be good to go.

As soon as I got to my driveway and slowed down to park, the noise came back.

I took the car back yet again to the repair shop and explained how the squeaking still exists and how they can fix it. They told me they'll order Dodge brakes rather than use the NAPA ones they did, claiming it could make a difference.

A few weeks later I was able to bring the car back to them and they switched to Dodge brakes...and guess what? A few days later, the squealing came back!

I am no longer going back to the repair shop as they told me if it squeaks after the Dodge brakes are put on, they are out of options (thanks for the help, right?!).

I had originally thought they may not have resurfaced my drums as it didn't say so in my invoice. But when I talked to them, they claimed they did and, when I brought it back for the Dodge brakes to be switched, they claim they resurfaced the drums again.

The squealing has gotten REALLY bad lately! Here is what I've come to understand from the noises and when they happen:

- First thing in the morning when I pull out of my driveway onto the street, if I even slightly touch the brake pedal, the sound is incredibly loud and howls until I release the brake.

- The sound gets better throughout the day and the drive, but it does remain every single time I brake to a full stop (usually once I slow down to 10MPH-0MPH).

- The car only makes the squealing noise when braking after driving forward. It DOES NOT make a single sound whenever I push the brake pedal while going in reverse.

- The squealing is worse braking down on an incline rather than braking while driving up one.

I don't know what it could be at this point. I'm taking it into a more reputable mechanic later this week, but I wanted to try the forums to see if anyone else with a Dodge Caliber (or maybe even a different car) has experienced the same issues and how they went about fixing it.

I'd like to believe it's the brakes, but after getting them done twice, I'd hate to have to pay to have them done yet again at another place when I am not sure if it'd even fix this annoying and embarrassing noise (you should have heard my car driving down eight stories of a parking garage in traffic...howling the entire way down!)

I want to thank those who have read my post for taking the time to read through my issues with my Dodge Caliber (other than this squealing, I absolutely love the car!) and I also want to thank every person who responds with helpful advice in advance, it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:11 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Simikian
I know it's been a few years since this was posted. But I had the absolute exact same problem with my 07 caliber. It turns out after taking a back four times on the fourth time they said it was a bearing on the right rear that was bad it was causing the problems.
Have they completed this repair? If so, did it do the trick for you?

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT rear making squealing noises?