Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Turn key and Car dies!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:52 PM
nbeeler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn key and Car dies!

I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT. Every once in awhile I'll turn the key to start the car and it'll click once and go completely dead. There is no power in the whole car when it does this and nothing works until I take off the negative battery wire and reconnect it. Everything works fine after this. Any ideas?

P.S. There is no corrosion on any of the battery components or wires.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:53 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You might not see corrosion, but you may still be losing contact. If the posts look like a charcoal grey color, take the terminals off, clean them with the battery cleaner tool, then put them back on. Make sure they're tight. It IS also possible the terminal on the back of the alternator is loose or has been overheated.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:10 AM
nbeeler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The terminals have been cleaned recently and still have the wire brush marks on them. I'll give it a try though.

Would a back connection cause the car to just shut off power to everything? Like I said "if" it does do this all I need to do to fix it is take the negative off and simply put it back on, nothing special, no cleaning or twisting.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Check the other end of the cable where the main cable connects to the starter and power distribution box as well as the ground cable at the engine.
Next time it acts up, before unhooking the battery, take a volt meter and check battery voltage, voltage at the power distribution block and main starter terminal. They should all be the same. 12V-12.5V.

Quick Reply: Turn key and Car dies!