Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Trunk will not open, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:21 PM
joker7596
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trunk will not open, HELP!!!

Last week I went to get stuff out of my trunk, I hit the open button on the key FOB a few times, but the gate would not open when I lifted it. I hit the button again, lifted, and completely tore the panel off that is attached to the trunk handle. The other day, I set the bolts back into the panel that came out with JB Weld and let it cure for a few days. About an hour ago, I reattached the wire for the handle to the handle, ran the lights back into the panel, and reattached the panel that I ripped off to the hatch itself. I secured the nuts to the bolts to hold it in place. I tried the handle multiple times, and everything worked fine. I then drove home, hit the button on the key FOB, and nothing. I also hit the unlock button on the drivers door, and nothing. All the other doors lock/unlock just fine, but the trunk is not responding again, even though I can see the mechanism moving when I hit the unlock button on the key FOB. Any ideas at all why this is happening, and how to fix it??!?! any help would be great. Thank you!!!

Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like you may have a broken wire in the harness to the hatch. I would trace the wire back from the lock actuator to the body of the car. I would suspect it may have a spot in the flex harness area between the hatch and body.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM
joker7596
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, I'll check it out tomorrow when I have more daylight. However, last week before I put the outside panel with the handle back on, I had the wire exposed, and could just pull on it and the hatch opened up just fine. That's the really odd part of it all to me. I had thought that maybe the cable became disconnected from the handle after I fixed it, but I just had my buddy pulling on the handle, and I can see the cable moving with the handle. Could the cable be messed up lower down the line, but still open when I pulled on it last week without the handle? It's as if it seems like everything works, but its not releasing.....

Quick Reply: Trunk will not open, HELP!!!