Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Can't use key to unlock drivers door....HELP?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:19 PM
joker7596
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't use key to unlock drivers door....HELP?!?!

So a few weeks ago, the drivers side door stopped responding to the key fob when I would press unlock/lock. Additionally, it stopped responding to the power lock button on the door itself. Sometimes it looks like it would try to do lock/unlock, but wasn't successful. I then resorted to locking it manually, and using the key to open the door (I know, how dare it!!!). However yesterday, I pressed down to lock the door, and felt a lot of resistance. I did lock, and I could open it with my key still. But about 10 minutes ago when I went to unlock my door, the key will not turn in either direction. I now have to open the drivers rear door, and unlock the front manually. Any ideas as to what happened, and how to fix it?!? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Old 03-31-2015, 10:48 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joker7596
So a few weeks ago, the drivers side door stopped responding to the key fob when I would press unlock/lock. Additionally, it stopped responding to the power lock button on the door itself. Sometimes it looks like it would try to do lock/unlock, but wasn't successful. I then resorted to locking it manually, and using the key to open the door (I know, how dare it!!!). However yesterday, I pressed down to lock the door, and felt a lot of resistance. I did lock, and I could open it with my key still. But about 10 minutes ago when I went to unlock my door, the key will not turn in either direction. I now have to open the drivers rear door, and unlock the front manually. Any ideas as to what happened, and how to fix it?!? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!
joker7596,

I'm sorry to hear about your door lock troubles. The failed component may or may not be serviceable, which may require replacement. A diagnosis would reveal the root cause. Possible culprits could be the door lock motor, switch or latch related.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:00 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like the actuator has failed. This can cause the linkage to get really tight. Removal of the door panel is needed to inspect the lock linkage.

Quick Reply: Can't use key to unlock drivers door....HELP?!?!