Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Cooling fan won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:33 PM
reksav
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan won't shut off

I got home from work and after 20 minutes the cooling fan didn't shut off so I disconnected the negative on the battery so it wouldn't drain it. I look around a bit and notice my coolant level was low, there was a crack in the bottom of the coolant reservoir so I put some JB Weld on it, waited a bit, added some coolant and reconnected the battery. The fan was still on, so I took it for a 10 mile spin, shut it off, fans still on. Where do I go from here?

edit: Suppose it would help to know the car is a 2010 Caliber with the 2.0L with the CVT, I am unsure of the trim level.

Last edited by reksav; 04-15-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:46 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Pull the relay and see if it shuts off. Might be a bad relay. Or a bad sensor. What's the trump gauge saying? Any check engine light?

Old 04-15-2015, 09:53 PM
reksav

No lights come on, I pull the relay and the fan shuts off. I gave the relay a few taps hoping it would unstick if stuck and that didn't do it. I'll grab a new relay tomorrow and hope it works. If that doesn't do it, what sensors should I be looking at?

edit: Temp gauge reads normal. It was off for a few hours while I waited for the JB Weld to set up and was completely cooled, gauge read nada.

Last edited by reksav; 04-15-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

There might be two sensors. One for the gauge, one for the PCM that controls the fans. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Could be a bad pcm. I would scan it for codes just to see if any codes are stored.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:28 PM
reksav

I got up this morning, reconnected the battery and the fans instantly turned back on, drove to work, still spinning, disconnected for the day and went off to work. I reconnected and the fans didn't start, I turned the AC on and let it warm up then turned the car off and they shut off as well. Not sure what caused it but it seems to be OK at the moment. I did stop and have it scanned on the way home, no codes came up.

Here's to hoping it was a fluke! I'll post back if anything changes.

Also, what I thought was the relay that I was pulling was only the fuse for the fans, I can't seem to find anywhere to give me the location of the actual relay. Ideas?

Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It is probably internal inside the PCM.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan won't shut off