Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

08 caliberfwdBought used tires and car shakes hard between 65 and 90 mph on highway.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:12 PM
phillykorean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 caliberfwdBought used tires and car shakes hard between 65 and 90 mph on highway.

Hey everyone, I wanted to see if anyone can let me know if there is a big issue or not. I drive an 08 Dodge Caliber sxt fwd 2.0L cvt model

LAST week, I went to a used tire shop because my passenger side front tire was bald and I was broke so I needed a quick fix until I can buy some brand new tires.

I went to a tire place near me and I changed my bald Firestone Affinity touring tire for a used Eldorado Legend Touring Tire the used tire has about 5/32 or 6/32 treadlife left.

The Tire size is 215/60/17 and I noticed that after they installed the eldorado tire the car drove like normal until I hit the highway and I usually drive between 65 and 85 mph on the highway but I noticed a very hard shaking/ vibration in the steering wheel while I was going at those speeds. So I slowed down to 55 and it was fine, but then when I speed up back to 65 the car starts shaking hard but the alignment is ok the car does go in a straight line with no issues. I then stopped off the highway and tightened my lug nuts because I was thinking it wasn't as tight as it should be. I didn't have to tighten it at all because it was already on tight.

So I am confused what is the issue with the car. I also did go 95-100 mph in my caliber just to test if the shaking was getting worse, but for some reason it was fine so the issue is between 65-85 mph.

I took it back to the same shop and told them my concern and instead of trying to find a solution, they changed my driver's side tire to the same eldorado legend touring tire. They didn't tell me they were going to change it, because I asked them to check the balance of the passenger's front side tire and they only looked at the driver's side front and said they saw the belt of the tire, even though it wasn't showing up it probably had about 2/32 tread life left and that was also a firestone affinity touring.

The eldorado legend touring tires are rated T speed and apparently they are good tires, but now after they changed the driver's side to the same tire, the car still shakes at 65mph but it isn't as hard but when you hit 80mph I get the same hard shaking/ vibration. I don't know what to do.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:09 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There's your problem. Someone down the line took those tires with 5/ or 6/32 off their car for a reason. Probably because they were bad. Don't expect a person who sells used tires to be an expert on ride quality, expect them to bull**** you long enough to get rid of you.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-23-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:38 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Your tires are crap. Buy some new tires and get them balanced correctly.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:37 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Either a really bad balance job or a belt issue in the tire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 caliberfwdBought used tires and car shakes hard between 65 and 90 mph on highway.