Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

08 caliber 2.0L sxt cvt High pitched whining sound

Old 06-26-2015, 07:48 AM
phillykorean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 caliber 2.0L sxt cvt High pitched whining sound

Hey everyone, I have an issue that I am concerned about

When I am driving even at low speeds, I hear a high pitched whining sound when I let off the gas/accelerator pedal. At first it sounded like the throttle body's high pitched whine when you are pressing the gas hard, but then i noticed it happen more when shifting gears, whether it is in autostick or overdrive mode. It is more prevalent in just drive mode without shifting any gears.

I am concerned that it might be the cvt2 overheating, the car just hit 67800 miles and so far there is no shifting issues yet but the noise is really bothersome and nerve-wracking.

I heard the Jatco Cvt2 overheating transmission is notoriously well known and commonplace.

Can the two transmission coolers fail that often?

Anyone else can confirm this?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:31 AM
phillykorean
Default update

Well I noticed that the high pitched whine only is present under 45mph

It doesn't matter if it is in CVT mode or automatic/overdrive mode, if the car is going slower than 45mph you will hear the whining sound, even when you slow down to stop at a light or a stop sign, it is really loud between 10 and 3o Mph.

Not sure what it is, but I still think it might be the transmission instead of the engine itself

The sound is similar to when the power steering pump is failing that whining sound, but I did already have my power steering looked at and it is fine.

so I am really not sure. The cvt2 transmission by jatco is a nissan owned company and it runs on three different sized belts but it isn't a belt squealing sound either

Old 07-16-2015, 12:13 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Has the trans ever been serviced? Have you have the dealer check the fluid level?

Old 08-02-2015, 02:38 AM
phillykorean

ok i have an update, the sound gets louder and louder especially when idling, it is coming from the passenger's front side of the car by the drivebelt and pulleys
it is a loud whine like a train speeding down a track. I went to a few mechanics and one said it was a bad a/c compressor and another said bad power steering pump. Can anyone else help me out?

Here is the video of the car issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NM8iADQgec

Old 08-03-2015, 11:01 PM
phillykorean

well i didn't turn them myself but the first mechanic took the belt off and told me it was a bad ac compressor he also recommend I replace all the drivebelt pulleys and was going to charge me $780.00 for the A/C compressor parts and labor and $380 for the a/c bypass and replace the other pulleys. It doesn't seem to change with the ac on or off, and it definitely doesn't change when you turn the wheel. The mechanic prices seem to be insanely expensive.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a clutch on the alternator pulley that may be going bad. Might be helpful
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...lley-info.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 caliber 2.0L sxt cvt High pitched whining sound