Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Battery or Electrical Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:17 AM
enjen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery or Electrical Problem?

I have a used 2007 Dodge Caliber and I noticed over the past 2 days every time I turn the headlights on and start to drive the ABS and emergency brake light will flash and then the odometer will go down to zero then back up to the spped I was going, and then the radio will do something weird like turn itself on or off or the volume will change by itself.
I should also mention that the cluster was replaced before I bought the car as well.
Would this be a battery or an electrical issue?
Do you have any idea what it could be?
I only got the car a few months ago so I think the problem would be covered under the warranty but I just want a better idea of what's going on.
Thank you!

Old 07-02-2015, 08:50 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Check and clean all the connections between battery, alternator, starter and grounds. Have the battery and alternator load tested. That will eliminate the battery/charging/starting circuits. If you can consistantly duplicate the issue and it is covered by some kind of warranty, take it to whoever it is that maintains the warranty and show them. Chances are, if it's an aftermarket warranty, it would only cover driveline components. Best to read the fine print in the warranty paperwork to verify what is actually covered.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:16 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like either a bad connection or a bad alternator causing low voltage which will cause the PCM to do wierd things.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:08 AM
Richie12
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Load testing battery, alternator is the best place to begin. Weak battery will run the car but very strange symptoms. Possibly an auto parts store will test it for free, I think Advance and Auto Zone, others will do this.

Quick Reply: Battery or Electrical Problem?