Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Check engine p0455

Old 01-18-2017, 06:27 PM
jstmahoney
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine p0455

So I had gascap light first, checked it out, seemed like it wasn't snug like the pressure wasn't on there so i figured the seal was bad. Then my wife told me the check engine light came on as well as gascap. Both would show up off and on. I thought noting of it cause of the faulty gascap. I got the new cap in the mail a few days later. Molar part, looks like the same part number used on pretty much any mopar In the last 10+ years. Swapped it out. In lights for 3 days. Wife drove it and said it was on, so I drove it to work the next day. Pulled the p0455 code, thought nothing of it, rest it. Drove home. Two days laster, this morning it's back. P0455. When I check the code online it's just saying "evaporative elision system leak large" not really pointing me to anything specific. I'm not sure what to check other than the EVAP purge solenoid. Anyone had this problem? Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the 08 use a esim switch that seals the evap canister. if you want to guess, start there. i recommend replacing the esim line air filter as well as the canister must vent through this hose. newer fca products...the gas cap light on newer vehicle cannot be erased with a scan tool. the pcm must be reset at the dealer. if the scan tool erases the dtc immediately, your golden. the system make take upto a week to complete the evap monitor.

if you want it diagnosed, the system needs to be leak tested with an evap smoke machine. take it to someone who knows the system operation as if it leak tested at the gas cap it will not test properly. the smoke machine needs to be connected at the esim fresh air intake port.

Last edited by primem; 01-18-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:21 PM
jstmahoney
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the gas cap again, cleaned the opening. Checked the lines everything looks good, so I reset it again, hasn't come up again yet. We'll see. I ordered a purge valve to swap if it comes up again. Found the mopar part on eBay for $20. Can't go wrong for that price.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:04 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Let us know if it happens again and the results after swapping the purge valve.

Search this Thread