Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

musicgate power sound system

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:18 PM
mahal3680
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default musicgate power sound system

Just wondering how good is this MUSICGATE sound system? Is it worth the $900 price tag for it? I hope I don't end up pulling the factory radio for a better one. I pretty much have to do it with every factory radio in all new vehicles I've ever owned in the past. This will be a first for me to stick nearly $900 for a factory equipped sound system in a new vehicle. Man, I hope its worth it...

Old 05-17-2006, 03:38 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran
Default RE: musicgate power sound system

I have that ordered with my Caliber. Its actually a $495 option, not $900. It does NOT require you to use any other radio or anything like that. I'm waiting myself to see how well it really sounds. FTI: it also includes a leather wrapped steering wheel (for non R/T models, or models without leather), and steering wheel mounted audio controls. Call me crazy, but those 2 things are part of what prompted me to buy the musicgate sound system with my Caliber. I absolutely love the steering wheel audio controls on my Stratus R/T Coupe. I also wanted a stereo system that sounded a little bit better than the standard one.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:42 PM
DodgeInfoCenter
Professional

Hey mahal3680…
First of all Congrat’s on your new purchase [sm=smiley20.gif]
Regarding the Musicgate feature, I have only heard awesome things about it! Many consumers who have chosen that feature enjoy it immensely.
Keep us posted with your thoughts [sm=smiley1.gif]

Kelly S

Old 05-17-2006, 03:50 PM
mahal3680
Veteran

I guess I should rephrase, the $900 price tag includes the radio as well. For $900, I can pick up a nice sound system at my local audio center at that price...I hope its worth it!

Old 05-17-2006, 10:57 PM
wildbill
Veteran

I'm generally pretty happy with the Chrysler stereos, especially when they're the Infinty systems. My parents/I have had DCX vehicles with those systems in them a couple of times. Will they bump like crazy? No, but they're darn good. Same can be said for the Caliber I test drove last week with the Boston Acoustics/Musicgate speakers. I was overall impressed, when I got back to the lot I decided to see just how well the drop-down speakers worked....

So I dropped 'em and turned the stereo up. I'll put it to you this way- it sounded good enough/loud enough that I got a couple of interesting stares from salesfolk/other customers So yeah..it's pretty good

Old 05-17-2006, 11:24 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran

How much BOOM is in the MusicGate Sound System? I could care less if it can rattle the windows, but I would like a nice clear, crisp boom to it and have the ability to turn it up without distortion/crackling.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:46 PM
wildbill
Veteran

I'd say its at least on par with the Infiniti systems that other DCX vehicles use. If not a little better because it was designed especially for the Caliber (to my knowledge at least). So yeah, you can definately turn that sucker up and let it hit good without distortion. Is it as dynamic as a custom ported box/amp combo?- well no. But like you said, you don't want to wake up the neighbours with the thing!

For what is still a "factory" stereo it bumps!

Take a CD that is representative of the music you like to listen to with the stereo up (and the windows down!) to you with the dealership or something. Then when you do a test drive you can pop that in. Unless you have a really stodgy or nervous salesperson, I doubt they'll mind. Its a great feature and they should want to show it off (that said, don't TRY to blow out the speakers or anything..that's probably not a good idea!).

Old 05-22-2006, 09:15 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran

I have yet to see a Caliber with it in it around here.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:37 PM
mr_badda_bing

It can rattle the mirrors, both inside and outside on the car. It sounds very good. It is loud enough that I cannot turn it all the way up and sit comfortably in the car. It has very little distortion at the extreme volume levels. Well worth the extra $!!

Old 05-22-2006, 10:43 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran

Can't wait to hear mine! I just want something thats a little better than the standard speakers. I don't really care to turn it up so loud you can't think while driving, but I do like it loud sometimes.

Quick Reply: musicgate power sound system