Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Slipping Parking Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:59 PM
craigdblom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping Parking Brake Pedal

Ever since I bought my 98 Dodge Caravan (bought it new), the parking brake pedal slips right to the floor without engaging the brake. Sometimes it will partially engage the brake, and once in a great while it will seem to nearly work normally (almost but not quite).

I've had the van in to the dealer to fix the problem several times. Once they told me it needed a new parking brake pedal and replaced it. After that they told me the parking brake needed to be adjusted. It seemed to work fine after each repair, but only lasted for a few days at best. Then the parking brake would go right back to how it worked before, slipping right to the floor without engaging the brake, and seeming to at least partially engage some of the time.

If I hold the brake release lever and pump the parking brake pedal, it will sometimes partially engage the brake when it provided zero friction to the brake before.

I've watched for a recall, thinking this must be a really bad problem for everybody to have such a hard time fixing it. But I can't even seem to find anyone else who has experienced the same problem; and I can't seem to find anyone who can accurately diagnose and fix the problem.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Slipping Parking Brake Pedal