Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: winter tires for 2012 GC Crew

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 PM
marka133
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tires for 2012 GC Crew

Was just told at the dealership that I had to buy winter tires for my brand new 2012 Grand Caraven Crew from the dealership because anywhere else wouldn't have the proper rims and tires. Something to do with the calipers.

Is there any truth to this? I find it hard to believe a reputable tire place wouldn't have the proper size rims and tires. The one place I called said I should even go with smaller tires. Any recommendations - the van is brand new, I don't want to muck anything up.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2012, 06:12 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow marka13 - I am surprised no one has provided and answer yet - doesn't seem like a tough question. So, I jumped over to TireRac and it said your ride came with and they show (recommended) tires for 17" and smaller ones at 16". I went to Michelin and got: We're sorry; our brands do not currently manufacture tires fitting this vehicle's specifications. Interesting...anyway, hopefully someone will jump in shortly with an definitive answer.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:43 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

IIRC the size tire they come with are either 225/65/17 or 225/65/16. In the 225/65/17 I see that Tire rack has Blizzak WS70 studless snow tire along with 4 other winter tires to fit your van and in 16's size they have 3 tires that will fit..

Last edited by DBLR; 01-24-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Dobs

Originally Posted by marka133
Was just told at the dealership that I had to buy winter tires for my brand new 2012 Grand Caraven Crew from the dealership because anywhere else wouldn't have the proper rims and tires. Something to do with the calipers.

Is there any truth to this? I find it hard to believe a reputable tire place wouldn't have the proper size rims and tires. The one place I called said I should even go with smaller tires. Any recommendations - the van is brand new, I don't want to muck anything up.

Thanks
Dealer said the same for me for my Grand Caravan R/T wich came with 17", they told me if i want winter wheels I have to put them on the original mags or get another set because no steel rims will clear the big front caliper for now.

I tried 17" steel rims and they dont clear the front caliper, you will need a 3/16 to 1/4 spacer to get the caliper cleared or install 18" rims

If someone found a brand of 17" steel rims that clear the front caliper without spacer would be nice to share the information.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 AM
thevalleyboy
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought 16" steel rims/tires from Tire Rack for my 2012 SXT which had the stock 16" rims, they are fine, installed and clears everything

Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Boonedogg

I recently bought a set of Rims from a tire shop...the same OEM size "16 and use 215/60r/16 winter tires, because I got them for $100 for all four. (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R which stick like glue). And have not had any issues with caliber clearance. And like the lower stance (Almost a 1") that the van sits.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 AM
baller95
Amateur

I've been looking for tires + rims for the past month now for my GC Crew and my god is it ever a mission! The tires are ok but getting a rim is almost impossible! I've called and been to over 5 major tire centers and they're all telling me that these rims are on special order and will take some time to get. One of the places said they'll be getting it today and another one said they'll arrive at the end of January!

Old 12-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dobs
Dealer said the same for me for my Grand Caravan R/T wich came with 17", they told me if i want winter wheels I have to put them on the original mags or get another set because no steel rims will clear the big front caliper for now.

I tried 17" steel rims and they dont clear the front caliper, you will need a 3/16 to 1/4 spacer to get the caliper cleared or install 18" rims

If someone found a brand of 17" steel rims that clear the front caliper without spacer would be nice to share the information.

Could you please clarify? Are you saying the factory 17" steel wheels found on base-level 2013 or 14 GC's with the large brake package do not fit other 2013 or 14 GC's that came with alloy wheels and the same exact large brake system? How is this possible? In my opinion, it is not possible. Something is being missed here......

What brand are the 17" rims you tried that didn't fit and specifically for what application are they designed????????? Are these 17" universal fit wheels for a Subaru or Kia or possibly steel Chrysler/dodge 17" winter wheels to fit the 2008 thru 2012 GC's with smaller brakes? Sorry for being sarcastic or smarty pants but we need way more info. I will also caution you that dealerships sometimes sell aftermarket hardware and that includes winter wheels. There is a good chance that your dealership may have a 17" steel wheel made for winter use on 2008 thru 2012 GC's that came with the optional 17" alloy wheels and SMALLER brake package. They would likely not fit a GC with the later big brakes. You need to try a factory Dodge 17" GC wheel made for a 2014. It would carry a specific dodge/Chrysler factory part# that you could determine thru some on-line searches.

Last edited by Lscman; 12-07-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by baller95
I've been looking for tires + rims for the past month now for my GC Crew and my god is it ever a mission! The tires are ok but getting a rim is almost impossible! I've called and been to over 5 major tire centers and they're all telling me that these rims are on special order and will take some time to get. One of the places said they'll be getting it today and another one said they'll arrive at the end of January!

Major tire stores do not specialize in premium quality wheels. They hang shiny bling on the wall to attract impulsive teens. This is like going to Safelite windshield store to buy wipers or windex.

It is easy to find the proper wheels for a Dodge or Chrysler and they shouldn't be on backorder. Go to a dealership, wheel restoration company or salvage yard.

Tire stores mostly sell aftermarket universal wheels. That's a recipe for getting alibaba or asian sweatshop knockoff junk with no DOT testing or approval....or something that does not even fit well. The same garbage is sold on ebay. I would not install cheap aftermarket wheels on a heavy 4500lb vehicle. Your wheels must be strong. Weak wheels on heavy vehicles can break and fail...I have witnessed it. Fake knockoff factory wheels made in china are made of highly porous cast aluminum instead of dense forged material. They often fail the center section and this results in loss of rim at high speeds in turns or potholes and leads to catastrophic accidents. The steel 3rd world wheels are made of thinner sheet than stock and welds are inferior. They bend in turns causing the camber to be off by several degrees. The chance of the wheel failing is lower than a fake alloy, but that is not enough for me. The flexing thinner steel causes outside tread wear, poor handling and tire squeal in turns.

I sincerely hope these steel wheels are made by a legitimate USA mfr that is not importing $25 Asian or Mexican knockoffs.

Keystone part#ALY02399U is the reconditioned aluminum 10 spoke factory 17" wheel for 2013-14. It was selling for $150 most places like Rockauto but there was been a run on these for winter season and they have been depleted duh. I buy my winter wheels in August to get the best selection and price, when everyone else is laying on the beach.

Here's ebay auction for more pricey big brake factory wheels from a refurbisher:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-GRAND-CARAVAN-Factory-Wheel-Rim-2399-SILVER-2011-2013-/200944451038?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item2ec938fdde&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Lscman; 12-07-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by marka133

Thanks

The dealership was being very truthful from a part fitment standpoint. The aftermarket has not been selling 17" wheels to fit your van, but I'm sure some are gearing up. A tea party extremist would call the dealer as a big liar because there is a caveat. The factory parts sold at the dealer may also be found in a junk yard or thru a wheel restoration company. Rockauto and some other parts stores sell restored factory wheels.

The one aftermarket place you called is full of it.

PS: you waited too long to find reasonably priced spare factory wheels. The aluminum factory wheels were selling all Summer long for $150 at Rockauto. Everybody is running in circles now that we're into winter, fighting over any remaining stock.

Last edited by Lscman; 12-07-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: winter tires for 2012 GC Crew