Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 dodge caravan 2.4 transmission slips only in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:14 PM
thefamilylife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge caravan 2.4 transmission slips only in reverse

Hello, I have a 99 dodge caravan, 2.4, my family loves this van, It now has 117k, The transmission was rebuilt aprox. 2 years ago, It had 67k at the time, shortly after the warranty expired, the transmission started slipping in reverse only, all forward gears are perfect, I only noticed it when i backed up at a steep angle with extra weight in the vehicle, well i made sure that i didn't park the van in a way to have to put a load on it, well things were just fine for a long time, then i noticed that it started to slip (only in reverse) when i gave it to much gas, I called the shop, that rebuilt it, they said to make an apointment, they would charge a minimum of $200. to tell me what was wrong, I wanted to educate myself a little on diagnosing transmission problems, I bought a chrysler corp. transmission diagnostic procedures manual, the majority of the manual covers diagnostic code trouble shooting, not something for the average do it your selfer, it did talk about a leaking seal, i also was told by a general mechanic that does not specialize in transmissions that it could be a broken or loose bolt in some reverse band strap inside the pan, well its about as clear as mud to me, I wouldn't mind knowing what kinds of things to expect to find, or if theres a posibility of fixing it at my local auto repair shop, if it could be fixed by pulling the pan, also if anyone knows where to see some good pictures of the possible problem, that would be extra nice, Thanks for allowing me to ask this question, Have a great mopar day, Rick[/align][/align]

Old 05-04-2007, 09:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 1999 dodge caravan 2.4 transmission slips only in reverse

Do you have the 41TE trans or 31TH ?? 41TE is a 4 speed and 31TH is a 3 speed. The 41TE does have a L/R actulater seal that leaks and will cause slipping in reverse or drive.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:49 PM
thefamilylife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not up to much on these things, HOW do you tell which tramsmission is in my van41TE trans or 31TH, Thank you

Old 05-06-2007, 07:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Do you have an O around the D for drive? That be a 4 speed. Or look at the front trans near the cooler lines, is there box ( solenoid pack ) with a wire connector. That would mean you have a 4 speed.

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge caravan 2.4 transmission slips only in reverse