Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Loss of power while driving

Old 05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Danielle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power while driving

I purchased a certified used 2006 Caravan about 8 weeks ago, and it has already been back to the dealership for one major repair (5 days into ownership the fuel coupling "failed" emptying my gas tank all over the highway.) The entire fuel line had to be replaced, according to the mechanic.

This morning, as my husband was driving to work, he had a complete loss of power. He was actually driving when the engine shut itself off. He was able to pull onto the breakdown lane and restart the vehicle and safely make it to work.

Since the dealership isn't open yet this morning, any suggestions as to what would cause this?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: Loss of power while driving

1st guess would a fuel problem, since the system had just been worked on ? Next would a plugged cat. Does the van have the 2.4, 3.3 or the 3.8 engine ?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:49 PM
mikamo

loss of power uphill 05 caravan sxt 3.3 whats cause???

Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Danielle - No check engine light and no error codes? Any signs of sluggish acceleration or any other symptoms before it died. I can't count the cat out but I would lean toward something electrical - it dies and it restarts right away. First thought would be the crankshaft position sensor. If the PCM (engine computer) looses it's signal the engine looses timing data it needs to run. The system is designed to kill the engine so it won't over pollute. Isn't the EPA a wonderful agency. Heaven forbid you pollute a little more than designed. Who cares if you're in heavy 80mph traffic. KILL THAT ENGINE NOW. GM ignition switch recalls get all the news for the same engine kill scenario but don't mess with the EPA.....sorry, it's aggravating.

The sensor will often fail without generating a code and a check engine light. Number two on my list would be the camshaft sensor for the same reason. Both sensors can be tested but tough to nail a fault down when it's intermittent. Inspect connections, verify wire continuity and reference voltage. If all looks good change one at a time. They cost around $40.

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-25-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikamo
loss of power uphill 05 caravan sxt 3.3 whats cause???
Uh oh. You hijacked Danielles thread. Should have started your own thread. Next time.

I would consider a vacuum leak, weak fuel pump, or plugged cat converter. Other than up hills does it run ok?

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-25-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 AM
mikamo
Red face 05 caravan power loss uphill

sorry about being on the wrong thread. just learning this.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:16 PM
BSK123
Default Electrical recall L25, ignition switch problems, shuts car off temporarily

Originally Posted by Danielle
I purchased a certified used 2006 Caravan about 8 weeks ago, and it has already been back to the dealership for one major repair (5 days into ownership the fuel coupling "failed" emptying my gas tank all over the highway.) The entire fuel line had to be replaced, according to the mechanic.

This morning, as my husband was driving to work, he had a complete loss of power. He was actually driving when the engine shut itself off. He was able to pull onto the breakdown lane and restart the vehicle and safely make it to work.

Since the dealership isn't open yet this morning, any suggestions as to what would cause this?
Check out your recalls. L25 is an electrical recall for faulty ingnition switch. This failure matches your description and will temporarily turn vehicle off. I imagine it will be worse if you have a heavy keychain. GOOD LUCK! Hotline is 18883274236

Old 12-10-2020, 08:34 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BSK123
Check out your recalls. L25 is an electrical recall for faulty ingnition switch. This failure matches your description and will temporarily turn vehicle off. I imagine it will be worse if you have a heavy keychain. GOOD LUCK! Hotline is 18883274236
The post is from 2007, I think they've resolved the issue or moved on :-)

Old 12-10-2020, 03:53 PM
BSK123
Default Newbie

Whoops, still getting used to this. Thanks for looking out. Who knows with a Dodge though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loss of power while driving