Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Trailer Hitch Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:36 PM
caseman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch Question

I have a couple questions on trailer hitches. I have both an 03 Grand Caravan and an 06 Caravan. I plan to tow a 16' aluminum boat. I saw that Draw Tite makes a class III hitch that will fit both vehicles. My 06 is a company car, so I would put the hitch on it for the summer/fall, then transfer it to the other van for next year. I need a hitch that will provide max clearance to the ground at the point where the receiver plugs in.

1. What brand hitch does everyone generally like?
2. What brand hitch would provide the most clearance to the ground at the point where the receiver plugs in?
3. Is there any advantage to using a class II vs. a class III hitch?...the III seems more robust
4. Do they make receivers that come out of the hitch and turn upward for better ground clearance?...my driveway is sloped upward and I'm just trying to avoid a potential ground clearance problem of backing up a trailer with the van.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:50 PM
dirtmover
Amateur
Default RE: Trailer Hitch Question

ORIGINAL: caseman
3. Is there any advantage to using a class II vs. a class III hitch?...the III seems more robust
The class III is far more flexible because there are more accessories that you can use with it such as weight distribution, sway control etc. I wouldn't even consider class II an option.

ORIGINAL: caseman
4. Do they make receivers that come out of the hitch and turn upward for better ground clearance?...my driveway is sloped upward and I'm just trying to avoid a potential ground clearance problem of backing up a trailer with the van.
Class III will also give you a wider range of ball mount options and heights as wellbut you will still need to match the ball height to what you are towing.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:24 AM
haidangwa
Default RE: Trailer Hitch Question

I have a Hidden Hitch Class III on my '03 Grand Caravan. The only thing protruding is the receiver; the rest is, as advertised, hidden and tucked up behind the bumper cover.

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch Question