Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Water pump replacement 03 town and country

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 AM
59blazinby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump replacement 03 town and country

My dads got a 03 town and county, 3.3l how hard would it be to do a water pump myself? I heared it shouldn't be too bad, let me know.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: Water pump replacement 03 town and country

Not very hard. Need to raise the van and take off the cover where the belt is. There 3 bolts holding the pulley to the pump, There will be 5 to 6 bolts holding the water pump to the timing cover. Put a pan under the water pump and when you loosen the pump bolts let the coolant drain into the pan. Also replace the 5/8 hose from the t-stat to water pump outlet.After filling the cooling system, drive 2 blocks and refill the cooling system, BE CAREFUL it will be hot. This is how you will be bleeding the cooling system. Good luck

Old 05-17-2007, 04:57 AM
next2pool
Professional

Just curious why you are replacing the water pump, only because many are replaced needlessly. If it is leaking or the bearing is growling or loose, that's legit, but if the engine is oveheating, it prob isn't the water pump.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Phil Ritchie

The water pumps on these engines generally will develop a leak between the housing and the engine. The seal there is an "O" ring and corrosion will build up under the ring, unseating it and causing a seepingleak. It is possible to stop such a leak by cleaning the surfaces and the "O" ring thouroughly. You will find that that the sealing surfaces are pitted. A liberal coating of RTV silicone sealant willfill these pits andseal the leak for another fewyears. However, pumps are cheap and if you have the thing this far apart, might as well put in a new pump. Then you are only dealing with a pitted sealing surface on the engine. Still use silicone rubber seal.

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement 03 town and country