Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2004 Caravan studdering

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 PM
sankudoctair
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Caravan studdering

I have a 04 Caravan with a 3.3 motor

I started having a problem with it a short time ago.

It would start surging and studdering like it was running out of gas, but only at a steady speed, and mostly between about 10 to 40 mph.
When you are accelerating, it does not seem to be a problem.
Highway speeds it wa hard to tell.
It would idle fine too.

I was told it was probably the TPS, so I unhooked it to see what happened. It stopped the studdering, but it made my van start hard. I bought a new TPS, put it on, and still had the same problem. I again disconnected it.
I drove it that way for a week or so and everything seemed to be ok, except for the hard starting.

Then I was told yesterday that it was probably the EGR. I disconnected that to see what happened. No change. Still ran fine, still started hard.
I reconnected the TPS. It now starts good again, and it seems to be running fine.

I hope that maybe someone can tell me if they have had a similar problem.

I would be real happy to just buy a new EGR and have that fix the problem. I just don't want to keep throwing parts at it instead of really understanding the issue.

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:38 AM
ATsGCSRT8
Default RE: 2004 Caravan studdering

I would probably change the EGR valve. It is a pretty common issue with these motors. You can pick one up at a dealer for $75.25 (P/N 4861635AG). Hope it all works out for you. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:35 AM
sankudoctair

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try.

I am only concerned that it will end up the same as the TPS and not be the real problem.

I am trying to understand how disconnecting the TPS would yield a similar result, if the EGR is really the problem.

Not at all saying you are wrong. I sure don't know. I am just trying to understand the connection.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:31 AM
sankudoctair

Just as a bit of info for everyone.
The van is running right now, but I still don't have a complete answer. If I unhook the EGR valve, my problem goes away, but I still have the engine light on.
Just as a test, I hooked the EGR valve back up and blocked the port to the intake at the valve. I also reconnected the TPS. Now the van runs great again and no more warning light or codes.

I am still left with the question though of whether it is the EGR valve that is bad, or if the computer is giving it wrong information, telling it to open at the wrong times, and causing the trouble.

I guess if I shell out the money for the new valve, then I will know.

Quick Reply: 2004 Caravan studdering