Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 GC air conditioning not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:08 PM
grim509
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 GC air conditioning not working

I have a 2000 Grand Caravan and the Air conditioning isn't working at all. The light on the A/C button comes on, but the compressor does not engage. I switched relays and checked the fuse, to no avail. The relay is not clicking (I have no idea which terminal for the relay is supposed to get power) I have the same issue with the air recirculator button. The light comes on, but it's not recirculating the cabin air. I pulled the AC panel out, and checked over the circuit board, and nothing looks or smells burned out.
Any ideas on what to check next?

Old 05-27-2007, 04:10 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 2000 GC air conditioning not working

Have a/c serviced and add dye, fill with 134r freon and ck for leaks.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 AM
wcoons

My recent problem was similar...the fan worked, but the compressor did not provide any cooling...the "freon" was leaking. We'd get it recharged and things would be fine for about a week or 2, depending on usage. But it always ended up not cooling. We brought it to the dealer who kept the car overnight and charged us $100 to troubleshoot the problem and ended up reporting they couldn't find where the leak was coming from. They advised that it would be about $2000 because both the front and rear units would have to be replaced since they couldn't pinpoint the leak. And, they warned, that repairmight lead to a leaking compressor or other component which could increase the cost even more ("would you like to buy a new car instead?, seemed to be implied[>:].) We took it to a local garage and ended up paying $1000 for the repair. It seems like a large pricetag, but we do spend quite a bit of time on the road and neither of us handles the heat all that well. We've only got 116,000 on the engine so the car has a little life left in it and it is paid for. The $1K repair cost is just 2 monthly payments on a new car...if it lasts that long it's paid for itself. Just more food for thought...

Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 AM
next2pool
Professional

I normally don't like stop leak products since I would rather get to the root of the problem, but I have to say that I have had good and long term luck with stop leak in AC systems when it gets to the "desperation" stage such as when you can't find the leak or can't afford the ultimate bill.

Quick Reply: 2000 GC air conditioning not working